Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Front Door inswing will hit bottom step

Hey Guys, This is my first time posting, but I'm on here all the time reading and finding some great information. Usually I can find information using the search feature, but I had no luck with this question.

I'm in the process of purchasing a foreclosed home that needs a fair amount of work. My brother and I have bought a few foreclosures in the past and usually do the majority of the work ourselves. We're located in the Southern New Hampshire area.

The house we're considering was originally a one floor home, but had a second floor addition back in 2006. The steps that they added to the second floor were never finished...along with many other things, but the permits were approved, inspected and closed. (Not sure how)

Currently when you open the front door there is about 3/8" of clearance between the door and the riser on the bottom step. The problem is that when we put a tread on that step the door will most certainly hit it and not be able to open up all the way.

The options we've considered to fix this problem are:

1. Constructing a 36" landing off of the 4th or 5th step with a 90 degree turn to the left. This just seems like a lot of work because we're going to need to make a cut-out in the ceiling as well to increase the height above where the 3 or 4 new steps will be located. There is a closet in this space on the 2nd floor, so I would just put a 'bench' in this closet for shoe storage or something. This is also going to decrease the size of the living room by at least 10sq.ft.

2. Change the door so it opens out. There is a farmers porch on the front, so I'm not worried about water getting on the top of the door, but I'm not sure if it's possible to reverse the door. The door is really nice so I'd like to keep it.

3. Bump the front door out an inch and trim it around the outside of the house to make it unnoticeable. The siding has yet to be done, so I think this would be doable.

4. Notching the tread on the bottom step to allow the door to open. I'm really against this option, because of the aesthetics and also the safety issue it will create for people who are not used to this. (I'm also almost positive this would be against code).

My question is can you guys think of any other viable options and what are your opinions on the options I've listed?

Thanks guys! Also, attached is a simple floor plan layout to help you understand my dilemma.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Door inswing will hit bottom step-steps.jpg  

Last edited by JStephens11; 08-28-2012 at 09:59 AM.
JStephens11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #2

Whoops...posted this in the wrong thread. I meant to place this in the construction thread. If someone has the ability to move this, please do so. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

I picture would be far more helpful then a drawing.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #4

I wish I had more pictures...attached is the only picture I have. I'm still in the process of buying this property, so in order to get access to the house I have to have my real estate agent come and open the door for me. I just realized this issue yesterday and didn't have a camera on me.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Door inswing will hit bottom step-stairs3.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #5

I'm guessing your worryed about the main front door hitting the stairs. An out open door would take care of the whole problum.
I like them better anyway. The wind blowing againt the door is trying to seal it, not blow it open, leaves more avalible usable space inside the home.
I doubt your gong to be able to reverce the door the threshold would be backwards.

I always thought it odd that in commercial work the doors need to open out for fire exit reasons, but in residentual the doors open in. Not sure about you but if my house is on fire I want out fast and not have to wait until everyone backs up so I can get the door open.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

First off, if you make a turn in the steps you have a serious head room issue in the ceiling.
Second would be the security of an outswing door, easy to crow bar open and pop the hinges on the outside.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #7

Hammer, I'm also very concerned about the head room issue. Adding a landing and turning the steps is the last thing I want to do.

I'm not really concerned about the security of an outswing door. To be honest, I haven't locked the doors on my house in over 10 years. If they want to get into the house, there are many easier ways then crow-baring the door or poping the hinges.

I just spoke to a couple of guys in the office here @ work, and none of them lock there doors either. Just not a whole lot of crime in this area.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #8

We do not lock our doors here, I figure if they want to break in one kick on most doors and the jamb splits or they can just break a window. Last thing I need is something else that needs to be fixed. LOL
Heck with my old junk I'll help them load it so I can get new stuff.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,016

Tough to use a storm door on an out-swinging door. Might want to make sure you don't want a storm door before you select how your main door swings.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

If you bump the door out, you won't be able to open it all the way against the wall. If that's an issue.
Definatly a safety issue messin with the tread.
Looks like its gonna have to open out. Don't use loose pin hinges.
Can you trim, rip, the door and re trim opening?
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

What is outside will be a big deciding factor for an outswing door. A stoup or similar may need to be added to allow for the outswing... will there be clearance for the door to open outward?
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #12

what is the current rise/run of the stairs? if it is not too steep a pitch you could always rebuild the stairs with a shorter tread. 1/4" less per tread over 13 treads would give you 3 1/4" of room to play with. Ideally however you would be looking for a 10" tread with a 1" nosing and a 7 1/2" rise. Can go down as for as 9 1/4" with a bigger nosing if the rise isn't too tall, while still being comfortable.

Depending on how the stairs are built you may be able to save some room just by building out of smaller material.

Or you could remove stairs, cut the stairwell opening in the second floor back and reinstall stairs. Depending on the joist layout this may be a lot of trouble.
stokes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

May want to check the existing stairs; 7-3/4" max. rise, 10"min. tread; and 3/4" min. nosing if under 11" tread.
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

They sell security (closed) hinges for out-swing doors.

Gary