Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #1

Share |

Front door installation - couple q's

I have a solid wood, completely unfinished slab for my front door (6 square patterns, but just raw wood).

Is this the general way to approach this?

1) drill holes for peep hole, door knob, etc; prep/chisel for size, and for hinges
2) primer (is primer necessary if I later top coat with sealer?)
3) paint
4) clear coat (polyurethane I think) my satin finish (using matte red paint, I want it matte most other places so will be using the clear coat to make it satin)
5) install doorknob, peep hole, etc.
6) install into door frame

Is that basically on point? Again, this is just a slab front door, no frame or anything, it'll just be going where the old door was, on the old frame. I guess my main points of confusion are whether or not I need primer if I'm sealing it after the paint, and if my order of paint/drilling/etc is proper.

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Remodeler

Your plan sounds good but yes you need primer. Primer seals the wood so paint doesn't soak in. Top coat clear will seal and protect the paint.
Make very sure all holes, hinges are correct. Hang the door, make sure all is good then take it down and prime/paint/finish. Or paint when it is hung.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #3

When finishing exterior doors I always remove all the hardware and lay it out on horses. That way every part is sealed.

And yes, your plan is sound.

PS.. If you have a router, a hinge jig will make setting the hinges a breeze.
Joining_Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinConst View Post
Your plan sounds good but yes you need primer. Primer seals the wood so paint doesn't soak in. Top coat clear will seal and protect the paint.
Make very sure all holes, hinges are correct. Hang the door, make sure all is good then take it down and prime/paint/finish. Or paint when it is hung.
Can you elaborate on the 'top coat clear will seal and protect the paint'? In another thread I was asking about a satin coating and told that you *do not* do coatings over the paint, the paint protects itself, and doing so would lead to less than stellar results
joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote