Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

French Windows rattle in studio

In my music studio, I have two large french windows. The window itself is very thin, and is constantly buzzing and rattling from my subwoofer in the room. Turning down or eliminating frequencies from the subwoofer is not an option because I am using the setup for music production.

I have tried everything from applying magnets on the windows, to tightening the frame by nailing the edges to grip the glass better. The rattle/buzz continually changes position and always comes back. I would like to get rid of the problem without taking the entire frame/window apart as this would be a huge project.

The best method I have discovered to prevent the rattling, is when pressure is applied directly to the glass with a few fingers. I apply no more than 3-4lbs of pressure before the rattling completely stops. This is where I need someones help....

I am thinking of using some type of bracket that can be screwed onto the outside of the window frame. This bracket would have a piece that extends to the middle of the window, and would have a treaded hole. Through this hole I would like to insert and screw in some type of metal rod, the rod would have a rubber pad/square at the end of it. This would allow me to screw in the rod and apply proper pressure on the glass to prevent the rattling.

Any help, products, tips, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

markstewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Why can't you put a sheet of acrylic plastic over the glass? You could place the sheet on spacers so the woofer pressure would not impact on the glass.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Why can't you put a sheet of acrylic plastic over the glass? You could place the sheet on spacers so the woofer pressure would not impact on the glass.
Ron
I'll second Ron's suggestion. HD carries acrylic panels.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #4

I'm not quite sure how that would work. The glass itself is attached to the frame, you are saying put spacers on the window and attach the sheet? I think it would still vibrate...

The glass needs to be pressured and forced not to vibrate. Leaning a heavy piece of plywood on the window does work, although I would like more pressure than that because it still has light buzzing with that method. The plywood choice is possible but very unpractical...

Please fill me in, sorry if I misunderstood. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by markstewe View Post
I'm not quite sure how that would work. The glass itself is attached to the frame, you are saying put spacers on the window and attach the sheet? I think it would still vibrate...

The glass needs to be pressured and forced not to vibrate. Leaning a heavy piece of plywood on the window does work, although I would like more pressure than that because it still has light buzzing with that method. The plywood choice is possible but very unpractical...

Please fill me in, sorry if I misunderstood. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!
The theory was if air pressure was creating the vibration then putting something in front of the glass would deflect the air from getting to the glass. The spacers would allow an opening so the pressure against the plastic wouldn't create an internal pressure to the glass.
If the vibration is coming through the frame to the door and vibrating the glass, then the plastic wouldn't work.
You need to experiment to see how these vibrations are getting to the glass.
Ron
A possible solution using your pressure points on the glass would be to glue posts on the plastic with rubber tips that would apply pressure to each pane. You could use acrylic rods to minimize the visual.

Last edited by Ron6519; 11-18-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added info
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #6

Well the subwoofer is right next to the window, so its definitely coming through the frame/ground and rattling the window. Unfortunately I can't use another setup, my only option is to apply pressure to the glass. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tags
buzz, frame, rattling, window, windows