Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #1

Share |

French drain to no sidewalk?

I have a situation where I'm building a french drain from the side of a home and sloping it towards the street. The street is design to run water off the center to the sides. The problem is the neighborhood block does not have street curbs or a sewer curb. Its just runs into peoples lawns. So naturally their is an "V" ditch between peoples yard and street. That is used to flow water down block to a sewer.

Question is how should I terminate the french drain when I can't tap into sewer.

a. terminate it so that it hits the street, exposing the end of french drain?
b. terminate it underneath the street and let it perf down.

Any comments or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

phake123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

I assume you are asking how to terminate the pipe in the drain. If you are putting in a pipe you are not building a true french drain. A french drain is a ditch filled with gravel or stone that channels the water to where you want it.

In your case, I would stop the pipe short of the curbside ditch and cover it all with crushed stone.

BTW your town may have some restriction on directing your drainage to the street.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #3

Thanks for you comments.

What I'm doing is directing my downspout into a perf pipe where I'm digging a ditch 2 feet deep. I'm sloping it so that it comes from back of home down to front yard to curb.

Since we have no curb and its only dirt curb. Your suggesting I stop right before the dirt curb and let water run off into the street. Since it does have perf holes, then it will not only run off to street but run down from the pipes?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Without seeing it in person, I would suggest running the pipe to air if at all possible, meaning : expose the end of teh pipe as high above the bottom of teh ditch as possible. You really don't need perf pipe to do this either.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #5

Thanks, I'm using pipes with perf holes so that I can catch any surface water that drains down. This is to alleviate any potential leaks to basement. During a very heavy raid basement leaks in the area where their is no drainage at top of surface.

So trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. Direct water from roof out to street , plus any surface water that is saturating ground around perimeter of house to go down to the perf pipes. I understand how to setup one side for this. But the front of the house, I'm not sure how to design the drain? Should I put a perf drain down the middle of the front house out to dirt curb or have it horizontal parallel to the front of home and connect it into the adjacent perf pipe that goes from back of house down front curb?

| <= Perf Pipe
| _____________
| | --------|
| | --------|
| | --------|
| | --------|
| | House |
| | --------|
| | --------|
| | --------|
| |________|
|
|
| ====>Perf Pipe horizontal? or veritical? <=======
|
|
|
|
| <= Perf Pipe

-------------------
Dirt Curb
-------------------

Last edited by phake123; 05-14-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #6

I would not use the perforated pipe for the downspout water closer than 10 feet from my house. Water will flow from a higher pressure to lower pressure. During a rain event, you will be leaching your downspout water into the ground and toward your foundation with perforated pipe.

You could run solid pipe for your downspouts the 10' and also put in perf. pipe in the same trench. Join the pipes at the 10' mark with a wye and continue toward the street. End the pipe in a stone pit..

You should check with your town for possible easments or restrictions as to how close to the street you can work.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

You do not indicate where you are located. Attaching pipe to downspouts has a number of unpleasant possible side effects.

If the pipe clogs with leaves that get into the downspout from the roof, water will back up, and most probably flow out of the downspout at the connection to the pipe. This will make your problems worse.

If the water in the pipe freezes, same as problem one above.

Design of a perimeter drain to address water infiltration into the basement requires that you install a perforated pipe in gravel around the entire basement, at a lower level (usually six inches lower) than the basement floor. The pipe must be able to drain by gravity to a positive discharge point, in you case perhaps the street, but possibly to a low point in your yard. If gravity drainage is not possible, you need to install a pump.

All of these issues have been thoroughly addressed in this forum over the last year, I suggest you browse through some of the threads to get some ideas on how to build the perimeter drain, how to connect it to a pump if necessary, and how to maintain it.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
greenhome

Sometimes you can't follow the rules and you have to improvise.

In my case, the street is higher than my house so I could not send the water in that direction. Instead, I dug a trench along one side below the frost line and put in a solid pipe. All the downspouts are connected to this pipe which ends downhill on my own property into a long dry well 25 feet away. Whereas I used to have a flood in my basement every time it rained, I now have a dry basement.

This winter, I did have a problem with a section of downspout freezing (I have a steel roof and the snow melts fast and it's really windy here), but I solved that by installing a heating cable down the pipe.

greenhome is offline   Reply With Quote