French Double Door ? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

French double door ?

Alright my house was built in 81 the back has a huge deck but the back door is a standard 32 inch door there is 20 inches between the door and a window . I want to put a french door in there . but the design of my house uses the exterior walls to support all of the roof's weight . I guess my question is will there be a header the length of the window and door or 2 separate headers ?
Will I need to support the roof with a frame before I start ?

Advertisement

Wwildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 514

French double door ?

It is doubtful that there would be one header there. Yes, you will need to support the structure to install a new properly sized header.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #3

French double door ?

What is a good size to use for a header for a french door ?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

French double door ?

That question would need to be answered by someone on site. It will depend on what the header will be carrying. Roof? Floor? Floor and roof? How much of each? It could be as easy as taking some measurements and photos to a local lumberyard. Check with your local building department to see what is required for your area.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

French double door ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
That question would need to be answered by someone on site. It will depend on what the header will be carrying. Roof? Floor? Floor and roof? How much of each? It could be as easy as taking some measurements and photos to a local lumberyard. Check with your local building department to see what is required for your area.
It will only be supporting the roof I live in a single story house
Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

French double door ?

What is the pitch of the roof? What is the span of the members? What are the roof load requirements for your area? We get these questions all the time here. It is impossible for anyone here to size that beam without actually being there. Guessing is not good when it comes to beams, and oversizing just gets expensive. There may also be some hardware considerations for your area that differ from mine.

Advertisement