DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

French Doors - sizing is off by 1" - What do I do?

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mikedavid00 
#1 ·
Hi!

I made a video for my question so you can see what my problem is. Any recommendations would be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl4E0-U64z8

These are regarding installing 2 french doors in an odd sized opening of 62" (doors are not available in 31" sizes.. only 30, 32, 34, etc)

#2 ·
Mike,
Hire a proficient trim carpenter. Buy a set of 60" french doors, pre hung in a jamb. Take off the existing trim. The rough opening for a pair of 30" doors prehung in a jamb is 62", what you have in your finished opening now. The piece of wood you describe as probably a 2 x 6 is a 1x (3/4" thick) by 4 5/8" wide. Depending on the height of your opening now, you may be able to leave the top 1x in place also. You should have at least 82" height for the rough opening height of your new door. Once the new doors are in place, install new trim or recut the old trim. It should cover. If not, repair the drywall that isn't covered by the trim. This is a simple job for a any kind of trim carpenter that knows what he is doing.
Mike Hawkins:)

#3 ·
Buy a pair of 32" doors and rip 1/2" off each side of both doors. !/2' trim on each side is within all manufacturer specs that I have run across.

#4 ·
Youtube is lagging when I watch the video. Got about half way through and it calfed.

Another option would be to buy 32 inch doors, and cut the inch off the hinge side or 1/2 inch off each edge.
Buy them as 'blank slabs' without the lockset holes or hinge gains and drill/mortise to suit.

Are the existing jambs built of a decent material? Will they handle the door weight?

#5 ·
The one thing I didn’t get off your video is are wanting to just hang doors off the surround you have or are you buying pre-hung doors?

I’m assuming you want to hang doors off what you have, the easiest thing to do would be firing in the opening. You will have to remove the trim on the wall and either remove the surround trim and add your 1” or 7/8” whatever it needs to be to give you the opening you need and re-install the surround boards or just add firing to your existing surround and add a new surround board that will need to be painted and your wall trim will move in an inch on each side The problem you might run into is when you move the wall trim in you will might be looking at unfinished sheetrock. Typically you don’t mud over the nails around openings that are going to have trim over them. The easy fix is just using wider trim otherwise you’ll have a little drywall finishing to do.

Or, if you are using solid core doors the probably could be cut on the hinge side but that would through the reveals off.

#6 ·
Hi!

I made a video for my question so you can see what my problem is. Any recommendations would be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl4E0-U64z8

These are regarding installing 2 french doors in an odd sized opening of 62" (doors are not available in 31" sizes.. only 30, 32, 34, etc)
What you have is one framed opening for doors and one framed opening, not sized for doors. If you want to put doors in the other opening, you need to redo the frame for 60" doors.
Ron

#7 ·
You have two cased openings and a french door now. You want 3 french doors. Your 2 cased openings are 62", that is the opening you need for a 60" french door.

All you have to do is take off the trim around the 2 cased openings, not the 1x6, then check the height and your new prehung door should fit just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.