DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

French Doors - Locking Dummy Levers

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeekinz 
#1 ·
I am wondering if someone can help me. I am a mortgage broker and work out of my home. The company I use for credit is requiring a site inspection, and one of the parameters is a "locking office."

I have a set of French Doors...I am not sure of the correct terminology, so I apologize. There is nothing for the doors to close into...no wood support that runs from the ceiling to floor. Basically, the doors go into a groove at the top, which holds them in place. As a result, the doors have dummy handles, which do not turn. Does anyone have a creative way to make them lock, without ruining the doors (and without just using a chain and padlock!)? I appreciate your help!

#2 ·
A "locking dummy lever", by it's own definition cannot exist. One door in this situaton is fitted with slide bolts mortised into the edge of the door at top and bottom so that the door is the pinned to the floor and top jamb; or surface mounted slide bolts used to do the same thing. This then allows a standard lock to be installed in the other door.

#4 ·
As Sammy said, you can get slide bolts that go into the frame. They can be decorative and surface mount onto the interior flat of the door or if you want to minimize the visual you can mount them on the latch surface, top and bottom.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.