Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

french doors dont close "easily"

1-doors appear square and plumb on 3 sides. When I go to close the door, the door doesn't "easily" close, it needs a little push to get it to latch to the stationary door.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! As I have not filled everything in yet.

2- when door was framed in, I have used shims to level, etc. And now at some points, I have a gap almost a 1/4 inch. Would you recommmend I use the foam to fill in the gap/weatherproof? Caulk?

Thanks,
'Adam

redroc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,256

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroc25 View Post
1-doors appear square and plumb on 3 sides. When I go to close the door, the door doesn't "easily" close, it needs a little push to get it to latch to the stationary door.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! As I have not filled everything in yet.

2- when door was framed in, I have used shims to level, etc. And now at some points, I have a gap almost a 1/4 inch. Would you recommmend I use the foam to fill in the gap/weatherproof? Caulk?

Thanks,
'Adam
When closing the door does it touch the other door first at the top or bottom? I am assuming that it does touch at one place or the other. As for the 1/4 inch gap you didn't say where it was so it will be hard to say what to do not knowing.

Stop by and vote for member of the month:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/vote-n...4/#post1414192

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,348

Is it binding on the hinges? You may have the shims in wrong and twisted the jamb a bit.

Post a picture if you can. Double doors require patience and some fine tuning---

Don't foam any gaps until the door works perfectly.--Mike--
BigJim (05-09-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #4

Ok - to clarify-

When I look out the doors, (inside looking out), it appers as if at the bottom, when the two doors are closed, the space between where the two doors meet each other is about 1/8 inch greater on the bottom than at the top of the door (again when the door is closed).

What is odd though, is that when both doors are closed and I look at the top of both doors, the seem between the top of the door and frame appears to be the same all the way across the top of both doors.

As for the 1/4 inch space, this is referring to the frame of house to where the door frame is set (My opening of the doorway was larger and I shimmed the door into the opening level and plum). So in this space, should I simply fill in the space with foam or calk to seal. Yes I will wait until the door is finalized before either one!

Thanks,
Adam
Old 05-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,348

Have you added a 2 1/2 inch long screw into the top hinge to transfer the weight of the door to the house framing?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

All of the above. The frame MUST be solidly anchored to the house framing. Door gaps should be equal all the way around. And depending on the manufacturer, the hinges may be adjustable, check the instructions. If all else fails, rehang the unit correctly.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #7

yes, used 2 1/2 screws on each hinge as instructed by the manufacture's instructions....

Tags
french doors, gap filling space