Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #1

Share |

Free Standing brick wall settling

Hi all,
I have 2 courtyard brick walls that have sunk a couple of inches.
They are attached to the house. So the result is the brick has separated from the house.
I've contacted a few mud jack companies and they say they cannot solve my problem since the walls are not sitting on a concrete slab.
The bricks are indeed sitting on concrete but it does not extend beyond the width of the brick.
Can someone advise me on how to fix this problem or suggest what type of company might be able to do this work?

Attached are 2 pictures illustrating the problem.
Free Standing brick wall settling-courtyardwall.jpg
Free Standing brick wall settling-brickseparation.jpg

Thank You,
Jim

Last edited by jmbarnh; 04-04-2011 at 10:57 PM.
jmbarnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #2

Yikes! A brick wall attached to the house and no footer? Were it mine, I'd think hard about tearing the walls out, brick by brick so they can be re-used or recycled, pouring a footer, and building new walls. That sounds horrible, but it may be cheaper and faster than cobbing around like I would end up doing, then wish I'd done what I just suggested; new walls. One (gross) option that comes to mind is to dig up sections at a time, maybe 4' to start with, and pour a footer under it. Leave 2, #4 rebar sticking out of the pour about a foot so it will be connected to the next footer section you pour. If possible, leave some "air" under the wall periodically, like heavy square tubing, so that you can later get something (a back hoe and chain? Solid bar, w/ jacks on each side?) to lift the sunken part of wall to where it is level, pour more concrete, and let is set up. Either way, whoever put that in owes you, IMO. Someone is going to have to fix those cracks at the house so you aren't getting water around your foundation, causing rot and/or frost heaving, if you get frost. BTW: If you do pour a new wall, consider NOT attaching it to the house.

Last edited by jklingel; 04-05-2011 at 12:52 AM.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
jmbarnh (04-07-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #3

That's unfortunate - ouch. Where are you located? Are sinking structures a problem - house on pilings and the wall not? If not, then inadequate foundation under the wall. Best to tear it out and redo with a proper foundation. Or just remove it and change up the look on the front of the house.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
That's unfortunate - ouch. Where are you located? Are sinking structures a problem - house on pilings and the wall not? If not, then inadequate foundation under the wall. Best to tear it out and redo with a proper foundation. Or just remove it and change up the look on the front of the house.
Yeah I think remove the wall, fix the brick that has been pried off the wall of your house. If you really want some sort of wall or fence around your porch, maybe try some wrought iron with some spiffy pillars or something.
LordOfChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #5

Thank You all for the replies.

We live in the Denver, CO area. So yes, frost is a problem.
The house foundation appears to be stable but the driveway and a patio have also sank so I'll be getting those mud jacked.
For this wall problem, I've contacted a couple of Piering contractors to come out so I can get their input as well as an estimate.
But in the end I think we are going to remove the 2 walls and do something else. Definitely whatever we do won't be attached to the house.
Thanks again, I'll set a reminder to update this with the end results.

Jim
jmbarnh is offline   Reply With Quote