Framing Wall For Shower Surround - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Framing wall for shower surround

Hey everyone, have a couple of questions regarding a shower insert install im working on.

Will be using a 4 piece kit (shower pan + 3 wall sections) that will go into a corner of the bathroom. The Installation instructions have a diagram for stud installation and thats all easy enough.

I would like to only frame up the wall high enough to support the panels, I do not want to go all the way to the ceiling. I will anchor it into the wall studs and floor joists with screws, but I am concerned with wall movement. I have read that running some of the wall studs down through the floor and attaching them to the joists helps sturdy things up and also running thread rod down from the top of the wall through a plate attached to the joists are two methods used on this type of wall. Is one more preferred than the other? Any other methods I should consider? Total wall height will be in the 73-76 range.

My second question has to do with finishing the walls around the shower. The shower will be attached to the bare studs and there are flanges for this. Do I then drywall over those and seal that edge with caulk? My current thinking is to extend the kicker wall up and out 2-5 inches and drywall the edge/corner to form an appealing finish. Perhaps some sort of special drywall is in order for this type of installation?

Advertisement

quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Will there by one or two loose wing walls?

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

One, the other two are framed from ceiling to floor.
quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote