Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Framing in Velux Skylight

I have read all the skylight threads here and on the internet. I am posting to make double sure what I am doing is correct.

I have a 30" Velux (M08) rough opening to go into a vaulted ceiling roof on 16 inch centers. I of course need to cut away the one center rafter.

I understand from my research I will need two headers at top and bottom but since my hole is more than 3 feet from any load-bearing wall, I need to double the trimmers(rafters on the side) as well(hole will be 53 inches long).

Is this correct ? and if so, do I just attach them on the outside of each rafter/trimmer from the header at the top to the ones at the bottom by 16d nails?

I have put in two smaller Velux skylights in a previous house (never leaked) but I never needed to cut rafters in those.

I just finished a roof vent and baffles and also realize I need to use a spade bit to drill 6 one inch holes on either side of the dead air zones above and below the light to allow air from the soffit to go out the ridge vent. I assume this is correct also. Please let me know if you have anything to add that I am not thinking about.

Thank you in advance.

Scott531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #2

I double up the rafters on each side from the ridge to the wall at the bottom if I cut a rafter. It sounded like you were just doubling up around the skylight.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 4
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Something about this is not making sense to me.
You have a vaulted ceiling, do you mean that the ceiling for this room is the underside of the roof rafters (R.R.)?
Or, is this some sort of scissor truss system?
If it is a truss system you can not cut the any chord of the system without consulting an engineer and coming up with a solution.
If it is an insulated roof rafters only type system then you may not need to provide venting for those bays directly over and below the skylight. Some may disagree with me on this but I have never understood the reasoning behind venting the bays of this kind of system with ridge vent and eave venting, all with individual venting baffles for each bay.
I know some will say that this will cool the roof material and prolong the life of the shingles but then you need to drill the holes you mentioned before and that would (I think) somewhat corrupt the integrity of the R.R.s.
Then you have to make sure you drill the holes in the right locations.
Lots of work for little gain.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott531 View Post
I have read all the skylight threads here and on the internet
Wait .... I thought this was the internet. D@MN it - I'm lost again!
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott531 View Post
I have read all the skylight threads here and on the internet. I am posting to make double sure what I am doing is correct.

I have a 30" Velux (M08) rough opening to go into a vaulted ceiling roof on 16 inch centers. I of course need to cut away the one center rafter.

I understand from my research I will need two headers at top and bottom but since my hole is more than 3 feet from any load-bearing wall, I need to double the trimmers(rafters on the side) as well(hole will be 53 inches long).

Is this correct ? and if so, do I just attach them on the outside of each rafter/trimmer from the header at the top to the ones at the bottom by 16d nails?

I have put in two smaller Velux skylights in a previous house (never leaked) but I never needed to cut rafters in those.

I just finished a roof vent and baffles and also realize I need to use a spade bit to drill 6 one inch holes on either side of the dead air zones above and below the light to allow air from the soffit to go out the ridge vent. I assume this is correct also. Please let me know if you have anything to add that I am not thinking about.

Thank you in advance.
You have to double up the rafters on each side from the wall to the ridge beam as Ron said.