Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #1

Share |

Framing on a slab floor

I am framing a non-structural wall in my bathroom. It has a slab floor. I know that I need to use PT lumber for the toe board, do i need to also use PT lumber for the rest of the framing? If not do I need another toe board using non-PT lumber on top of the PT toe board? What kind of masonry nails can I use to attach the PT lumber to the slab? The only ones I saw said not to use them in PT lumber?

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Framing on a slab floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
... do i need to also use PT lumber for the rest of the framing?
No

Quote:
If not do I need another toe board using non-PT lumber on top of the PT toe board?
Yes, you can use KD grade lumber. Just be aware that "bright" nails (untreated) will react and corode in P.T. lumber. Because of this, I prefer to use galvanized framing gun nails all around for Basement framing.

Quote:
What kind of masonry nails can I use to attach the PT lumber to the slab? The only ones I saw said not to use them in PT lumber?
We use a .22 caliber pnuematic Nail fastener for that, and use the gray coated nails.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Framing on a slab floor

Quote:
I am framing a non-structural wall in my bathroom. It has a slab floor. I know that I need to use PT lumber for the toe board, do i need to also use PT lumber for the rest of the framing? If not do I need another toe board using non-PT lumber on top of the PT toe board?
All you need is pt for the shoe/sole plate (just other names)toe board, nothing else.

Quote:
What kind of masonry nails can I use to attach the PT lumber to the slab? The only ones I saw said not to use them in PT lumber?
Ask for ACQ rated cut nails at real lumberyard, not HD or Loews.. I use them all the time.