Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

Share |

Framing question

I'm refinishing my basement. When I frame the walls I'm planning on using 8 foot 2x4 base and top plates and 16 inch on center. Therefore every 8 feet I'll have 2 2x4 right next to each other. Is there a better way to do it? Im going to outsource the drywall and would like to get it close to right. Thanks.

ltlbvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Framing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlbvr
I'm refinishing my basement. When I frame the walls I'm planning on using 8 foot 2x4 base and top plates and 16 inch on center. Therefore every 8 feet I'll have 2 2x4 right next to each other. Is there a better way to do it? Im going to outsource the drywall and would like to get it close to right. Thanks.
There's no need to ever do that. Drywall always sits half way on the single stud. You can do it if it makes you feel like you need too...but you don't.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #3

Framing question

i'd go for longer top and bottom plates like 12 footers.. what i do is stager the joint so there not in the same spot, no real point to it just my preference, i make the joint so it sits in the middle of a joist so i cap it with a 2*4 which is about 30 1/2'' and the stud goes on top of the center of that if that makes any sense to you..
notme76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Framing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by notme76
i'd go for longer top and bottom plates like 12 footers.. what i do is stager the joint so there not in the same spot, no real point to it just my preference, i make the joint so it sits in the middle of a joist so i cap it with a 2*4 which is about 30 1/2'' and the stud goes on top of the center of that if that makes any sense to you..
what?
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #5

Framing question

Use as long of plates as you can that work out with 16" centers, no need for double stud. Maybe this pic will help.
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...r_basement.jpg
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Disabled wood vet

Framing question

Oh...k.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Retired carpenter

Framing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlbvr View Post
Nothing wrong with your plan, just a wee wasteful, but probably easier for you.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #8

Framing question

here is how real framers do layout.
Start with marking 3/4 on the layout stud. Then set your tape on the line and make the 16" centers. By doing so you will end up so the stud at the end is centered half on and half of the end of your plate. This will eliminate the extra stud.

Most of the time we also use longer stop as plates. Not necessary in your situation, but we do to eliminate joints which will be the weak point in the wall

hope this helps.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Disabled wood vet

Framing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52
Start with marking 3/4 on the layout stud. Then set your tape on the line and make the 16" centers. By doing so you will end up so the stud at the end is centered half on and half of the end of your plate. This will eliminate the extra stud.

Most of the time we also use longer stop as plates. Not necessary in your situation, but we do to eliminate joints which will be the weak point in the wall

hope this helps.
Real framers pull 15-1/4" and go, 31-1/4" and go...so you only need to hook the beginning of the wall once, instead of hooking some mark you made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (02-04-2012), woodworkbykirk (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #10

Framing question

Quicker yet is to make one line across both plates laying side by side,with tape hooked on end, at the 16", 32", etc. distance with a pencil. The line is center of stud, no squared lines, no "X"'s, very fast since much of the layout is repetitive in production framing.

As you are building a partition wall, non-bearing, the studs can be 2x3 at 24" on center (as the plates), though I would never use those. Use a sill sealer under the required p.t. bottom plate for a thermal/air/capillary break; http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code Unless you know for sure there is a plastic vapor barrier under the concrete.

Use foamboard inside unless already installed outside below grade for thermal savings: http://www.quadlock.com/technical_li...Insulation.pdf
Remember to fire-block the frame wall as per code. Get a permit for the paper trail for H.O.Insurance carrier if ever a future claim and when time to sell.

Gary
Old 02-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #11

Framing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
Real framers pull 15-1/4" and go, 31-1/4" and go...so you only need to hook the beginning of the wall once, instead of hooking some mark you made.
Yep, but real framers would not be asking this simple question, hence the simple way to do it.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
I ask the impossible!

Framing question

PT bottom plate, right?~
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Framing Contractor

Framing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52

hope this helps.
Maybe where your from. I've never heard of such a thing. The Real Framers where in from just hook the tape and mark 15-1/4....31-1/4...47-1/4....so simple....was taught that first day on the job...framing 101...
woodworkbykirk (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #14

Framing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Maybe where your from. I've never heard of such a thing. The Real Framers where in from just hook the tape and mark 15-1/4....31-1/4...47-1/4....so simple....was taught that first day on the job...framing 101...

Joe, I have only taught 40+ guys how to layout and it seems to be the easiest fot the beginners to r. Yes, I do it your way and eventually teach that to beginners. Should have been clearer in my earlier response.

OK?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
Framing Contractor

Framing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
Joe, I have only taught 40+ guys how to layout and it seems to be the easiest fot the beginners to r. Yes, I do it your way and eventually teach that to beginners. Should have been clearer in my earlier response.

OK?
No problem. I always taught the 15-1/4"...31-1/4"...47-1/4" mark and then draw the 1-1/2" lines representing the studs in relationship to how the sheathing lands in the center of the stud.

Then I draw it staring out with a 16" mark then go 32"...48"....and draw the 1-1/2" marks representing the studs and show them how the 48" mark doesn't land in the center. The drawings always help.