Framing Partition Under Ductwork - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Framing Partition Under Ductwork

I've just started framing my basement and I'm already running into some issues, mainly with ductwork. I'm building a partition running perpendicular to the joists in the middle of the basement (hallway partition). Unfortunately, the wall runs parallel and underneath ductwork. How can I fasten the top plate for this wall? My only thought is to build a soffit for the ductwork first, then fasten the top plate to the soffit. Is that a feasible solution, or is there another way to do it? If I do use that method, I assume I would need to construct the soffit with 2x4's instead of 2x3's or 2x2's since it would be supporting the top plate of the wall and not just holding drywall.

If I need to, I can post some pics tomorrow.

Advertisement

Tarheel4985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

To prevent lateral movement, pre-nail metal straps to the top plate before you stand the wall up. Then nail the straps to the adjacent joists. Nailing the bottom plate to the floor and gluing the drywall to the wall would stop any upward movement as would let in bracing

Advertisement

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I guess I'm confused about the metal straps. Would they have to be bent at angles in order to make it around the ductwork? Would this be a better solution than attaching the wall to the soffit?
Tarheel4985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Just re-read your 1st post. If you can build a soffit, then that could hold the top of the wall.
If you used straps, they would be nailed to the bottom of the joists on either side of the wall
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote