Framing Out Staircase Opening - I-Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
Young Bachelor

Rewards Points: 337

Framing out staircase opening - I-Joists

I had a topic a few months back before I was building the house and ordering mats for the floor. The framing I help has finally finished with the roof and I am taking over after writing that last check.

I originally was under the impression I 'needed' to double/sister my I-Joists on each SIDE of my staircase cut-out. The cutout I am going to do will be an L shape. The long part will be along the basement wall in the photo, and then the staircase will have a landing against the concrete wall of the foundation, and turn right to go down a few more stairs. Because of this setup, I have to cut out two more I-Joist just after the landing turn to meet headway standards. I am planning on making a support beam with either a.) rimboard if I can find my scrap or b.) I-Joist scrap with I-Joist hangers to support those joists that fall short of the foundation wall. I will support the rimboard/i-joists with two posts, either 4x4 or 4x6 (double 2x4 or double 2x6 posts)

I visualize in my mind that the staircase will be open on the right side as you come down. That would mean I also have to land that single or double I-Joist on the right side of the stairs on the rimboard beam.

So I guess my main concern is with the method of supporting the floor. Do I need to double all my I-joists that will have the hole cut out next to them? Since my walls are not load bearing, I am not sure if it's still a requirement.

attached are some pics, the first couple show the joists. The top of the stairs will be the middle of the house, and they will drop down towards the basement foundation wall. I am planning on moving the I-joist to the right of the current framed basement wall closer to that wall so my stairs are as close to that wall as possible.

I can try to provide drawing if that is easier to visualize.
Attached Thumbnails
Framing out staircase opening - I-Joists-img_20150912_101220633.jpg   Framing out staircase opening - I-Joists-img_20150912_101232754.jpg   Framing out staircase opening - I-Joists-stair_outline.png  

Advertisement

Last edited by CTSNicholas; 09-12-2015 at 09:56 PM.
CTSNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
I
I originally was under the impression I 'needed' to double/sister my I-Joists on each SIDE of my staircase cut-out. The cutout I am going to do will be an L shape. The long part will be along the basement wall in the photo, and then the staircase will have a landing against the concrete wall of the foundation, and turn right to go down a few more stairs. Because of this setup, I have to cut out two more I-Joist just after the landing turn to meet headway standards. I am planning on making a support beam with either a.) rimboard if I can find my scrap or b.) I-Joist scrap with I-Joist hangers to support those joists that fall short of the foundation wall. I will support the rimboard/i-joists with two posts, either 4x4 or 4x6 (double 2x4 or double 2x6 posts)

I can try to provide drawing if that is easier to visualize.
A framing sketch as you see it working would be helpful. How do you plan to support the interior of the L?

Advertisement

keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,520

May have replied to this before....but framed a second floor over a new attached garage last year and had to work around a 6' fireplace that ran along the existing wall. Specs called for a double I-joist on each side of the fireplace opening.....with the inside of the beams "fired out" with two bye twelves to essentially make a solid beam. Someone should have figured out your needs in terms of the beams....and can tell you specifically what you need in your situation. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
Young Bachelor

Here is a drawing. The red block indicate where my beams will be with joist hangers to catch the joists. I will then have two support columns (4x4 or similar material) on each end of the beam to carry load down and achieve as much of an open staircase feel as possible without breaking the bank. I think my idea with them is pretty solid and I can fine tune to the inspector's liking... but the double up joists is my current concern before I start cutting out the floor. Such as deciding if I only need double joists on each part of the main staircase, or if i also need to double them up where the little notch is cut out...or if they are something from the past. I don't see where there would be extra load on the joist that runs on the left side of the stairs. I can see a need maybe on the right side since that joist is cut back and has to rest on a beam, but even then, the beam should be doing the work and bring load down as if it were the foundation wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Framing out staircase opening - I-Joists-stair_detailed.png  

Last edited by CTSNicholas; 09-13-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
Here is a drawing. The red block indicate where my beams will be with joist hangers to catch the joists. I will then have two support columns (4x4 or similar material) on each end of the beam to carry load down and achieve as much of an open staircase feel as possible without breaking the bank. I think my idea with them is pretty solid and I can fine tune to the inspector's liking... but the double up joists is my current concern before I start cutting out the floor. Such as deciding if I only need double joists on each part of the main staircase, or if i also need to double them up where the little notch is cut out...or if they are something from the past. I don't see where there would be extra load on the joist that runs on the left side of the stairs. I can see a need maybe on the right side since that joist is cut back and has to rest on a beam, but even then, the beam should be doing the work and bring load down as if it were the foundation wall.

How do you get a permit without framing plans? It looks like you are doing this yourself and that you don't understand the principles involved.
keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
Young Bachelor

Turns out double I joist is overkill. Just need the joists supported that will be cut short from foundation (which I already knew) Local yard suggested using rimboard for flat finish surface around outline of opening against i joists.

Advertisement