Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #1

Share |

Framing out a basment - PT 2x4s with metal studs?

I am about to start finishing my basement and decided to use metal studs for a variety of reasons. My questions is whether I should first lay down PT 2x4s and the lay the metal track on top of that.

My reasoning is with the PT, I will have something to nail the trim into, plus it will keep the metal off the concrete floor and away from moisture.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

wesley8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

just place sill insulation under the metal track to provide a capillary break. You then install the trim with trim head screws directly into the metal track. I do all my basements renos with this method.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley8808 View Post
I am about to start finishing my basement and decided to use metal studs for a variety of reasons. My questions is whether I should first lay down PT 2x4s and the lay the metal track on top of that.

My reasoning is with the PT, I will have something to nail the trim into, plus it will keep the metal off the concrete floor and away from moisture.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
You could do that or Bob's scenario. For the base trim, you can install 1/2" plywood at the wall bottom. Just rip it narrower then the base molding you'll install. Just keep it off the floor in case there is a water episode. For the door trim, install wood for the R.O.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

i believe the a.c.q pt is corrosive to some unprotected metals, i think everything but stainless steel and hot dip galv. might be a factor to consider. I usually use rons' suggestion with ripping plywood for a nailer and then set drywall on top of that. works great for me. i usually go 1/2" off of floor with my plywood depending on floor covering
Dereck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I was planning on getting the metal studs for the bottom that would be ok on PT. But I like the Plywood idea much better.

Am I wrong to choose the metal studs over pine? My friend did his basement and he complained all the time about the quality of the studs he got. He has some serious bows and wished he used metal studs instead.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Metal studs are not used as commonly as wood in residential due to cost and a carpenter's lack of familiarity in the installation and value. It is by far a much better solution. Basement walls are problematic due to controlling moisture that may become trapped in the wall and damage the wall's components. The method I suggested works because I provide an air flow and nothing in the wall is effective by a wet condition. No food for the mold no growth!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #7

Thanks again. i do like your method. Do you use the foam insulation? Like a thin strip? Or the bat (SP?) insulation?

My outer walls are already insulation from the builder, the basement is below grade and I do not have a moisture problem (been in for 5 years). I sealed the walls with Drylok before the insulation went up. A close friend that is a remodeler told me to gap the outer walls about 1/2 inch from the insulation to allow air flow. So I plan to use 1x1 metal studs there.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

A dry wall is dry since it breathes into the basement freely. It will not be dry once you seal it with a finished wall. The outside insulation helps keep the condensation down in the summer, but you need it installed in the inside to prevent condensation on the cold concrete wall.
Sill insulation is about 3/8" thick and 6" wide. It is usually pink and comes in a roll.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley8808 View Post

Am I wrong to choose the metal studs over pine?
You are making a very wise choice
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
So I plan to use 1x1 metal studs there.
I just noticed this. Maybe a typo? This is way to small to support drywall without bending. Even 2X3 is too small. Stick with a standard 2X4 metal stud.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #11

Up here, we ourselves don't use metal studs ever on exterior walls. Maybe interior walls or bulkheads but the condensation/moisture/mould issues that we have - that you may not have to the same extent - preclude them.

We prefer the better heat transfer profiles that wood studs give us. Of course, to prevent wavy walls, you have to know how to install them and know what they're being installed on too.

Plus we don't want to come back in 5 years to replace the rusted drywall screws...

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

Last edited by ccarlisle; 01-09-2010 at 09:41 AM.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote