Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2005, 06:04 AM   #1

Share |

Framing in New Windows to enclose a porch

I have a covered porch that I would like to convert to a dining room. It has large openings (8'10" x 4'7" and 9'5"x4'7") that will make awesome windows. They will sit on painted concrete blocks that rise about 3 to 3 1/2 feet off the floor. How much trouble will this be? Are there any suggestions? Large windows, several smaller ones?? What about windows with enclosed blinds?

Thanks

DDRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:09 PM   #2

Thumbs up

Hello DDRowe,

This can be tricky or easy depending on the condition of what you have, & large glass panels need to be secure & supported with minimal torsional motion for obvious safety reasons.

It sounds like a great idea but well worth getting a few local pro's to take a look. A possible alternative if inexperienced is to use a shaterproof pvc for the glazing.

PS. Steer clear of windows with enclosed blinds for external windows, as condensation will always get in eventually and they always go wrong!

Best Regards

British Building

Last edited by Nathan; 05-25-2005 at 04:23 PM. Reason: No Advertising Please
British Building is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
Deb

At least about not using windows with blinds between the glass, if you purchase these windows from a reputable window company and they are installed correctly you won't have any trouble with them. Condensation is caused from too much humidity in your home, not from the window and as I said you get what you pay for! PVC would eventually yellow after time doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Building
Hello DDRowe,

This can be tricky or easy depending on the condition of what you have, & large glass panels need to be secure & supported with minimal torsional motion for obvious safety reasons.

It sounds like a great idea but well worth getting a few local pro's to take a look. A possible alternative if inexperienced is to use a shaterproof pvc for the glazing.

PS. Steer clear of windows with enclosed blinds for external windows, as condensation will always get in eventually and they always go wrong!

Best Regards

British Building
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote