Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #1

Share |

framing nailers

what is the difference between clipped head and round head nailers? does one just shoot nails with smaller heads? i just buy old houses and fix them to rent. i just have to do light framing when remodeling. which gun do you guys recommend for this type of work. i just bid on a porter cable fr350a round head nailer, is this a good choice?

drewhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #2

framing nailers

Most building codes require a full headed nail. I've got a 350A nailer and have had no problems.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #3

framing nailers

Senco is the best I have owned.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #4

framing nailers

can't go wrong with round head. i own a makita and it works great.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #5

framing nailers

A clipped head nailer takes nails where the head is partially clipped off on one side. It allows you to collate the nails right next to each other. With the round head nails, the nails have to be spaced to allow clearance for the nail heads.
daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #6

framing nailers

in what type of situation would you want to put nail right next to each other? also what is the correct way to toe nail a stud to the plates?
drewhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #7

framing nailers

Let me clairfy,
Nail guns take collated nails, collated just means that they are held together in a strip somehow.
Nails for a round head nail gun must be spaced out so that the nail heads don't hit each other.
Clipped head nails can have their shanks touching because the part of the nail head that would interfere has been clipped off.
The major advantage of a clipped head nail gun is you can load and drive more nails before you have to re-load. Round head nails have slightly higher holding strength, however the difference is not very significant (IMHO) although I am sure someone has a story about how their entire house collapsed because they used clipped instead of roundheads.

daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote