Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #1

Share |

Framing Nailer

I am considering purchasing a framing nailer. I'm not clear on the various angles. What should I be looking for in a good all around gun? Also what about nail size and round vs. clip head nails?

joe3534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Framing Nailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3534 View Post
I am considering purchasing a framing nailer. I'm not clear on the various angles. What should I be looking for in a good all around gun?
Angles are slightly different by manufacturer. I wouldn't worry about what angle the gun nails are loaded at....
What is a good all around gun is depenant on how much money you plan on spending....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3534 View Post
Also what about nail size and round vs. clip head nails?
That is more of an issue as to what is permitted in your area. Clipped head nails are not permited, by code, in my neck of the woods....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Framing Nailer

First, do as AtlanticWB suggested and see what code requires in your area. The requirement for full head nails, which used to be primarily for areas with siesmic activity is rapidly spreading to the coastal areas to meet upgraded codes for hurricane strength. Personally, if you stick with the provens like Paslode or Senco, you will get many years of service, and good performance. I don't feel that the newer Bostich products are up to the same toughness as the older models, and if you only require moderate use, the Porter Cables or Ridgid products will be less expensive. Also be sure that the nails for your chosen brand are widely available in your area, as some brands have more of a following in different regions than others.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 05-15-2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 AM   #4

Framing Nailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Angles are slightly different by manufacturer. I wouldn't worry about what angle the gun nails are loaded at....
What is a good all around gun is depenant on how much money you plan on spending....

That is more of an issue as to what is permitted in your area. Clipped head nails are not permitted, by code, in my neck of the woods....

Really no clipped heads. What is the reasoning behind that. I have used both and you can't pull either one out the wrong way (at least not without a lot of damage). It is really interesting to here the differences in codes in different areas. It makes one wonder why they are not more uniform. Sure some areas that have earth quakes need something different or hurricanes but still it amazes me. If one way is best why do we not all just build the best that can be built then we would all be safe.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Framing Nailer

Yea, I have done re-hab work in hurricane areas where clip head nails are not allowed. They are allowed in my home area. I just got the round head nailer so I would have more flexibility.

Only advantage to a clipped head nailer, I think, is you get a couple of more nails per stick.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #6

Framing Nailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
Yea, I have done re-hab work in hurricane areas where clip head nails are not allowed. They are allowed in my home area. I just got the round head nailer so I would have more flexibility.

Only advantage to a clipped head nailer, I think, is you get a couple of more nails per stick.
The thing I don't like about the full rounds is those little pieces of plastic that get stuck it the wood. It is no big deal most of the time but sometimes I have to dig them out if I am face nailing siding or something. I own both guns but had no idea half rounds are not allowed in some areas. Good too know thanks again guys.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Framing Nailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerww View Post
The thing I don't like about the full rounds is those little pieces of plastic that get stuck it the wood. It is no big deal most of the time but sometimes I have to dig them out if I am face nailing siding or something. I own both guns but had no idea half rounds are not allowed in some areas. Good too know thanks again guys.
Paslodes, and I believe Hitachi as well, use paper connected nails, not plastic. There may be a few others that use paper collated nails.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote