Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

Share |

is framing an interior wall with 2x3s up to code

I'm having difficulty selling my 2 bedroom townhouse so I think my next step is to add a bedroom. The resulting rooms are going to be small as it is so my question is can I divide the current room into two separate rooms by framing a wall that is made from 2x3s?

dmack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

A 2x4 is 3 1/2" wide. That's a half inch more than 3"....... divided by both rooms, you save yourself a whopping 1/4" per room.

C'mon now, the head is supposed to be used for more than just a hat rack.

And, yes, if you buy 2x3's that are really 2 1/2" wide, you can gain another 1/4" in each room. Is any of this worth the trouble to make flimsy walls to save, at the most, the width of your little finger in each room?

Don't forget the hassle you'll encounter getting door jambs to fit... and are you sure the electrical boxes are going to fit.....? Probably will, but then again....

BTW, in small rooms, pocket doors are a big help. You can't find 2 1/2" pocket door frames.

Last edited by Willie T; 07-20-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-31-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

not to mention that 2x3's are more susceptible to twisting and warping as they dry out.. which makes for a incridibley wavey wall

not to mention that theres a much higher chance of a finish nail hitting wires or pipes that might be put in the wall.. code states that wires and pipes must be kept back a minimum 1 1/2" from the inside edge of drywall in the wall cavity
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #4

Would the house sell better if, instead of making one room into two small rooms, you just added a small bathroom to the room.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #5

I have actually seen walls in prefab structures that were nothing more than 3/4 inch osb with vinyl wall covering. I would guess that no one in their right mind would find it a desirable thing. Also, if you can't sit down on your bed without cracking your head on the wall then what you have is a big closet rather than a bedroom. Our 1933 bungalow 2 bedroom home had a big addition put on back that serves as our bedroom. The 2 original bedrooms were too small so they are now a closet and a man cave.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #6

Two tiny rooms instead of one big bedroom would be a complete turn off to me if I was a buyer.
I assume your using an agent to try and sell this house, have you talked to them about why the house is not selling?
Could be dozens of reasons, bad area, bad schools, roof needs replacing, peeling paint, poopy looking yard ECT.
I once worked on a house that was for sale for $275,000 for three years and never even had a showing. I drive up and there's an engine hanging from a tree, no grass in the front yard, they had a working hot tub but had decided to fill it with sand to make a kids play area, railing broken off the deck, stairs to the deck laying on the ground, all the screens were broken, hole in the sheetrock, door jambs split in half from the couple fighting and locking each other out.
The owner kicked the tenets out (her grandson) we spent three weeks fixing it up and the house sold in 4 days.
gregzoll (07-31-2013), oh'mike (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #7

Turning one bedroom into two might well make them so small that they wouldn't legally qualify as bedrooms. Each would also require a closet. And then there's the possible issue of egress. Altogether, your plan is a bad idea.

There's something else that's making it hard for you to sell. About ten years ago, we owned a 3-story, 2-bedroom townhouse. When we decided to move, it sold in less than a week.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-31-2013), RWolff (07-30-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I drive up and there's an engine hanging from a tree,
What was that all about? Must have been one hell of a crash!
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
What was that all about? Must have been one hell of a crash!
More likely a shade tree mechanic.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #10

The next owner can film cool fight scenes where they throw each other through the wall.

I believe a room must have a closet and a window to be considered a bedroom.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #11

the only requirements I know of in the 2009 International Residential Code for a bedroom are:

1. at least 70 s.f. of area
2. no dimension less than 7'
3. an emergency escape and rescue opening in an exterior wall
4. a door
5. space intended as an area for sleeping.

some local jurisdictions use the "closet" as a deciding factor, but nothing in regards to closets is called for in the IRC.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Many European homes have no closets. They often have schranks (I think that's German for cupboard cabinet, something like a "wardrobe") Anyway, freestanding cabinets.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack7 View Post
I'm having difficulty selling my 2 bedroom townhouse so I think my next step is to add a bedroom. The resulting rooms are going to be small as it is so my question is can I divide the current room into two separate rooms by framing a wall that is made from 2x3s?
I'm not convinced carving out one small already room into two smaller still rooms is going to suddenly sell the house, and depending on potential buyers it might have the opposite effect if they expect LARGE rooms and they see these two tiny rooms.
The economy sucks, it is NOT a seller's market there's a glut of houses for sale, as well as a glut of abandoned, and foreclosed-on houses with for sale signs no one wants.

If someone likes the house they would have no problem putting in a partition wall IF they really wanted 3 bedrooms instead of 2, I think you would be throwign away money on doing this.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #14

So many replies w editorials about a simple question. Sure you can use 2x3's for a non load bearing partition wall. I wouldn't tho if there is a door in that wall cuz you'll pay more than you saved getting a custom door jamb. If there will be no door and only a couple outlets then you're fine!

How small is "small"? Everyone is criticizing and they don't know the starting dimensions. I find a 10x8 bedroom to be perfectly fine for a kids room. If my choices are:

2-bedroom with
Master 14x18 (252 sf)
2nd bedroom 12x16 (192 sf)

Or

3-bedroom with
Master 14x18 (252 sf)
2nd bedroom 9x10 (90 sf)
3rd bedroom 9x10 (90 sf)

The 3-bedroom is actually 12 sf smaller but I'd take it any day. Far more useful to have the extra room even if small. As long as it isn't hokey... i.e. it flows normal in the house, has a nice closet, window, etc. Sometimes things get split up and they are terrible changes in terms of design.

I don't know many families who are in the market for a 3-bedroom house that would go "oh a 2-bedroom is okay if they're bigger rooms". Generally your market for 2-bedroomers are a completely separate market from your 3-bedroomers, so yes, changing the config might get you to see some fresh buyers if the 2-bedroom buyers have seen it and passed already.

Give some thought along the lines of if all the 2-bedroom buyers saw this and passed, why will it be different once you're talking to 3-bedroom buyers... i.e. is your price right?
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Many European homes have no closets. They often have schranks (I think that's German for cupboard cabinet, something like a "wardrobe") Anyway, freestanding cabinets.
We should start using Shumaker Scott's German House Rebuild in how to make a small building work as a home.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (07-31-2013)