Framing Inspection - With Windows Installed Ok? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

Framing inspection - with windows installed ok?

I am replacing two windows and adding a 32" exterior entry door. I need to reframe and install all in one day. Does the framing inspection need to be done before the windows and doors are installed in the reframed openings?

One of the windows is replacing a sliding patio door - so framing will be added under the new window. The other window is 6" taller than the window it's replacing, so the bottom of the opening will be reframed lower. No header changes are needed - the windows will fit the existing openings except for the reframing at the bottom of each.

The door is a new opening in the wall.

thx!
Vince

Advertisement

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Framing inspection is normally done after plumbing, HVAC and electrical inspections. These are not even started until the building is "closed in" Meaning roof and windows and doors are installed. So yes you can place the windows in before inspection.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

In our locality, the window installation is part of the framing inspection. No windows installed yet, don't call for the inspector. They tend to get testy 'bout that kind of oversight.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #4

excellent - thanks for the quick responces!

Vince
Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #5

You need to ask your inspector. They may frown on trimming around the outside of the window due to the need to see sheathing nail pattern on the opening as well as the water barrier/counterflashing. Some cities inspect before the windows go in for flashing on the window bucks, etc.

I can see most of what I need to see with the window installed. No trim though!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You need to ask your inspector. They may frown on trimming around the outside of the window due to the need to see sheathing nail pattern on the opening as well as the water barrier/counterflashing. Some cities inspect before the windows go in for flashing on the window bucks, etc.

I can see most of what I need to see with the window installed. No trim though!
Yes, I had figured on not having the exterior closed up and trimmed so installation details could be seen. Thanks!

Advertisement