Framing Inspection - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
pjm

Rewards Points: 75

framing inspection

I'm redoing my kitchen and have gutted it down to the studs. I had to frame a small (20" X 20") wall around the chimney which was in the corner of the room so I could hang sheetrock. My town needs to inspect this and there coming tomorrow. My question is are they just going to inspect what I did or the whole room now that I stripped it down to the stud? If anyone has ever had this done can you give me a heads up as of what to expect.

Thanks.

Advertisement

pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

framing inspection

If you've stripped the entire room down to bare studs, it depends on the inspector. They way I'd handle it is I'd look over the framing around the room and if I saw something that was really bad I would have you address it....Whether electrical, plumbing, or framing. It would have to involve a severe life-safety/structural hazard for me to bug you about it. Application of current code to existing homes is not always prudent or feasible.

Why did you strip the rock off? Just replacing rock or are you re-wiring, plumbing, etc?

Advertisement

Last edited by Termite; 05-13-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
pjm

framing inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
If you've stripped the entire room down to bare studs, it depends on the inspector. They way I'd handle it is I'd look over the framing around the room and if I saw something that was really bad I would have you address it....Whether electrical, plumbing, or framing. It would have to involve a severe life-safety/structural hazard for me to bug you about it. Application of current code to existing homes is not always prudent or feasible.

Why did you strip the rock off? Just replacing rock or are you re-wiring, plumbing, etc?
Actually is was plaster and plaster board. I needed it down for electric and plumbing as well as there was no insulation in the walls. Thanks for the info about the inspection, I just hate the waiting part of getting things inspected this is my first major project like this with inspections and such and I could have been just about done with it if I didn't have to wait. I guess it's for the best making sure it's all done right.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

framing inspection

Just remember the inspecter is there to protect you from any serious issues even though it may not seem like it they will save you in the long run.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

framing inspection

I don't see any prblem here as long as there are no utilities involved. I think a little chase wouln't be much of a concern at all.
terry714_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #6

framing inspection

No reason to be nervous. He's a building inspector, not the CIA or FBI! He's there to help get your project done safe and done right, so consider him an asset, not an obstacle.

I often see homeowners all worked up about passing their inspection. No big deal if you don't pass the first time...The world won't end...Just have him walk you through what you need to do (if anything) and follow his instructions. I'm confident that you'll do fine!

There are occasionally building inspectors that are difficult to get along with by nature. They're typically the exception to the rule though. Just being nice to him and good friendly communication will go a long way in determining how you'll be treated. I'll be honest and say that if someone throws tantrums and argues every call I make, I'm going to be harder to get along with and will usually make sure that I catch even the smallest pickiest code violations that normally might not be written. The reason for that is that I feel that someone's integrity is no good if they argue with me for calling MINIMUM standards set forth by the code, so it is my opinion that they really deserve plenty of my time. Someone who wants it done right may ask questions and discuss my calls with me to facilitate understanding, but won't fight me on it. When dealing with someone who I know wants something done right, minor things can be left off the inspection sheet and simply mentioned, because I know they'll fix them either way.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #7

framing inspection

How long are you having to wait for inspections? That is strange! You shouldn't have to wait more than a couple days in most jurisdictions. I require 24 hour notice, but often will sneak in inspections to keep people working.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
pjm

framing inspection

By no means will I argue anything with him. Just itching to get back into my kitchen you know? The only inspector I have had a problem with time wise was plumbing, I think because it isn't his only job. He only inspects on Tuesdays. So once I failed my first inspection I had the plumber fix it the next day. Then I couldn't do anything for almost a full week waiting for him. I'm cool with getting everything inspected and none of them have been pains in the rear end yet, I just want to get it done asap.

I just passed my second plumbing so I'll let you know how the framing goes tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #9

framing inspection

Good luck. Holler if you need anything.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
pjm

framing inspection

I had my inspection this morning and everything passed. One thing he said I would need was mineral wool to be used as a fire stop in the bays of the walls. I have a baloon framed house and he said that I need it to be used as a firestop. My question is what is mineral wool and is it the same thing as mineral fiber? He said I could find it at most lumber yards or building supply places, but home depot wouldn't carry it. Also is it like insulation as far as usage and how it's sold? I've never heard of the stuff so any information I could get on it would be great.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
General Contractor

framing inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
I had my inspection this morning and everything passed. One thing he said I would need was mineral wool to be used as a fire stop in the bays of the walls. I have a baloon framed house and he said that I need it to be used as a firestop. My question is what is mineral wool and is it the same thing as mineral fiber? He said I could find it at most lumber yards or building supply places, but home depot wouldn't carry it. Also is it like insulation as far as usage and how it's sold? I've never heard of the stuff so any information I could get on it would be great.

Thanks.
Unfaced, compressed batt insulation is an equivalent (and actually a much more common firestopping material) to mineral wool so you might want to ask if you can substitute the batt for mineral wool.

Since he told you to use mineral wool (some people call it rock wool as well), he may have a preference for it, but the Code accepts both materials interchangeably.

Either way, the material has to be compressed and firmly secured in place.
MacRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #12

framing inspection

MacRoadie's right.

Rock wool is NEVER used in residential construction around here, and we enforce the heck out of the firestopping requirements.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
pjm

framing inspection

How would you go about installing that stuff? Staple it in like insulation?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
General Contractor

framing inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
How would you go about installing that stuff? Staple it in like insulation?
Yep
MacRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
pjm

framing inspection

I had my insulation inspection and everything went great passed with flying colors! The inspector asked if I was a contractor! I told him I wasn't, but maybe I should look into it. The Mineral wool was just what he wanted and I put it in just the way he wanted it also. I can't wait to get some sheetrock hung now! I don't need another inspection until it';s completely done.

Thanks to all for your help and advice I couldn't have done it without your guys help.

Advertisement