Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #1

Share |

Framing inside a storage unit.

I have a 15 x 50 ft and 18 ft high unit. To maximize space, I want to have two floors. No walls on 2nd floor, just a deck and railing, except for a 12x10 (approx) room against one side and in the middle of the 50ft. On the bottom I want to partition the back end and have about a 12x15 room.

Can I use 24 OC spacing with 2x4s or do I have to use 2x6s?

Wood I-joists would be ideal but I haven't priced them yet. If they are cost prohibitive, will 2x12s suffice?

As far as the the room upstairs, will it be ok without support from bottom since it won't be spanning the entire 15ft width?

Also, the only prohibition from the leasing agent is that I can't drill into the concrete because it has heat elements in it. Since this is inside, will it be ok to stand without mechanical anchors? I planned on using construction adhesive on bottom of "sill plate."

I plan on using 7/16" sheathing on outside of the wall framing and the 3/4" osb tongue and groove subflooring for top deck.

I am a woodworker and will be using upstairs as light lumber storage and a few workstations (no heavy machinery). Sheetgoods will be stored on bottom floor.
Bottom floor will be for machining the lumber.

Any advice and opinions would be helpful. Thanx in advance...

SteveGinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGinVa View Post

As far as the the room upstairs, will it be ok without support from bottom since it won't be spanning the entire 15ft width?

What would support the upper floor? You really need to have an SE look at this for you.

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
vln
Underwriter

Haha oh my god

The first reply to the OP is to have a STRUCTURAL ENGINEER look at a storage room.

What is this forum coming to? I forget this is the DIY chatroom, while reading posts here I believe the title is incorrect and it should be "What type of expert do you need chatroom".

These replies are getting crazy. Here is a good rule the mods should instate, actually TRY to help before telling people they need contractors, electricians, plumbers, and engineers to build storage shelves.

Back on topic, I would go with 2 x 6's and I beams.
vln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
What would support the upper floor? You really need to have an SE look at this for you.
Not if it is someone else's property, and you are paying the right to use. I am sure what the OP is wanting to do to the owners property is stated in the terms of the lease as a No can do. And usually the ownership of these tenements have bigger lawyers than most not so bright in the head individuals that rent these storage units.

If it was me, i would be showing the OP the gate and tell them not to return to any of my properties.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vln View Post
Haha oh my god

The first reply to the OP is to have a STRUCTURAL ENGINEER look at a storage room.

What is this forum coming to? I forget this is the DIY chatroom, while reading posts here I believe the title is incorrect and it should be "What type of expert do you need chatroom".
It isn't completely clear from the OP's post what exactly he wants to do, but it is evident that he wants to build an additional floor structure. Apart from ownership issues, it is potentially a safety issue.

The range of queries on this site is quite wide, from very straightforward DIY jobs, to complex structural work. As the OP is a carpenter, I have no doubt he knows his stuff. However, the actual sizing of major structural elements is a job in itself and should not be undertaken lightly and without experience.

If you feel so confident, then instead of criticizing good advice, tell the OP precisely what sizes of timber to use, and where. Don't just sit back and say "2x6 and I-beams". ..... And then take responsibiity.

Last edited by tony.g; 05-14-2012 at 09:20 AM.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Framing Contractor

Vin,

Your reply is about as.ignorant as it gets. You don't like what is said....leave....your posts are useless and dangerous. DIY'er forums do not mean you can just do any job you want.

Safety and doing the right thing is the most important thing here. Something you need to learn.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #7

Wow. I came here for advice, not condemnation. Why are so many people so mean spirited in forums? It always amazes me. How do they function in the real world?

I have full permission to do what I am discussing here. It would cost me twice as much to lease a standard warehouse/office unit. This is a mini-warehouse with its own subpanel including 220V service. It is commonplace to setup different rooms and floors inside a leased warehouse. This space only differs in size. It is narrow, but it works for me at a great price.

Back to topic... I would appreciate any answers to my concerns. I am not an idiot but I am not a builder either. If I had experience I would not be here asking questions.

Good Lord, why do people have to be so mean?!
SteveGinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveGinVa For This Useful Post:
vln (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
vln
Underwriter

See what I mean, Steve?

I think you would have better luck getting a decent answer at a different DIY forum or carpentry forum.

In my opinion, this place has gone down the gutter in the past year or so.

vln is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, framing, joist, second floor