Framing Ideas (supporting 2x6" Beam) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Framing Ideas (supporting 2x6" beam)

Hi all,

I'm just looking for simple framing ideas here to support a 12 foot 2x6" across a room. It's non-load bearing. It's going to be a new bulkhead/soffit and will support the plaster and wood lath coved ceiling on the one side and the new drywall on the bottom and other side (I'm going to run some 2x2" vertical strips on the new side to give the bulkhead a little more girth for visual reasons). It will be nailed or screwed to the dangling old 2x4" as you'll see in the pictures to support them and plaster and they'll be cut flush with the bottom of beam.....

I have one side figured out (pic 1) but I'm stumped for ideas on the second side (pic 2). I can't just nail it into that last 2x4" with no support below, can I?

Room is just under 12 feet across. House built in 1940. The wall I took down WAS NOT a load bearing wall.

Advertisement

colinp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,030

Yes you can just nail it in if it is not load bearing.
There are also hanging brackets you can get

Advertisement

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

If I nail it into the last 2x4" you see there, the weight of the 2x6" will pull that end of the bulkhead downward. No? As for the hanging bracket, there is nothing above it to hang it from.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

Why not just hang a little wall from the top, make it 2x6 or whatever size you want.
You don't need a header just a soffit right?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (05-16-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
DIY or die !

Rewards Points: 75

its always fun what you find you pull apart an old house huh ? !

First off, why do you want a little wall there? I would raise it up as high as possible to let light in/through. No one likes the feeling of being blocked or trapped.

I would cut those dangling posts off flush with the other ceiling. Then drywall right over it. Those posts look to be about 16OC, thats fine to attach to. If you're worried about it, you could block it in with your 2x6 Idea.

As far as your window to stud gaps, remember, thats what TRIM is for ! Just make sure its sealled off, great stuff and caulk the CRAP out of it, cover with trim.

On the other side I would throw a 2x4 behind the lath, then run some strapping down to the floor to make it even with the strapping.

There is ALOT you could do with that. Just remember you want as LITTLE protruding into the room as possible. The more wood you can hide in the wall/out of site the better !

Remember, drywal mud/plaster/caulking/greatstuff is your friend ! These old houses have all sorts of puzzles for us to figure out. Thats what makes it fun !
lewisthepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply lewis the pilgrim.

I need to build a soffit/bulkhead hanging from the ceiling since one of the rooms has coved ceilings (with a spackled texture) while the other room has a square plastered and painted roof. I thus cannot make the rooms continuous. Also, a small bulkhead will give it nice visual separation.

As per your advice and other responses I've received, I don't think I need to run a 2x6" beam across the room -- it seems excessive and difficult enough just to support that. I will perhaps reinforce the hanging 2x4"s with some L-brackets (to get them nice and secure to the header) and then attach the drywall directly to those.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
DIY or die !

Rewards Points: 75

This situation is just like my kitchen/dining area. I have a beam in there due to it being a supporting wall, But I WISH it wasnt there ! My ceilings are QUITE different as well.... But who cares ???
lewisthepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Maybe, bolt up through the top plate into the joists above and then some L brackets to hang the hanging studs from the plate. Just as was drawn in the pic, a header ( or similar ) that spans wall to wall on the underside and/or side of the hanging wall section will still be needed to keep the wall from getting sloppy/floaty

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote