Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Framing help needed

I am currently involved in a kitchen reno. I have a wall that's over 3/4" out of level from bottom to top leaning outwards. This will be a U shaped kitchen, and there will be angled 24" cabinets on each side wall onto this window wall. On the right hand side there are 4 studs running up, each attached to each other. On the left hand side, there are 2 studs, then a vent where I wouldn't be able to sister in a stud, then 3 studs. The window is being replaced in a few weeks, so whatever I do to the wall won't incorporate that.

Here's an image of the wall:

I've used the red to mark out all of the studs, and there are a bunch of them on this wall. I had a few ideas, but nothing seems "easy":

• Rip boards and shim out from top to bottom? This just seems tough with the number of boards to rip.
  • Sister to the inside boards and shim out the solid regions? This leaves minimal room for insulation, and there's a cross brace running the length that means I have 2 areas to level for each. Plus lots of ripping.
  • Pull out the inside boards, re-frame, and shim solid regions? Each board, even cross, are attached to the sheathing, which means big damage. And more ripping.
  • Leave as is as there will be base cabinets where the counter will mask it and just two upper corner cabinets?
  • Something else I haven't thought of?
I really don't know what should be my next step, so some ideas or confirmation of mine would be great... Thanks in advance...

joeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Framing help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeh View Post
I have a (LOAD BEARING EXTERIOR) wall that's over 3/4" out of level
from bottom to top (over about six feet) and leaning outward.

I really don't know what should be my next step...
Thanks in advance...
Look into WHY and HOW this condition exists...
and before doing ANY other modifications... FIX THAT.

hth

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 12-29-2011 at 07:35 PM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #3

Framing help needed

When I framed in las Vegas we shim & shaved every house, especially kitchens where cabinets would be installed. If it was me I would rip 2x material and fur out till I was close and then use paper shims to get it perfect. Maybe you aren't familiar with those- the make cardboard shims about 4' long and 3/16 thick. They come in bundles and are made for shimming studs so they fall in plane with each other.
Ninjaframer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjaframer For This Useful Post:
joeh (01-09-2012)
Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #4

Framing help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Look into WHY and HOW this condition exists...
and before doing ANY other modifications... FIX THAT.

hth
55 year old house, structural engineer fairly certain all movement has stopped (had some cracks that made no change over 5 years now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaframer View Post
When I framed in las Vegas we shim & shaved every house, especially kitchens where cabinets would be installed. If it was me I would rip 2x material and fur out till I was close and then use paper shims to get it perfect. Maybe you aren't familiar with those- the make cardboard shims about 4' long and 3/16 thick. They come in bundles and are made for shimming studs so they fall in plane with each other.
Never heard of the cardboard shims, I'll check it out next time I go to Home Depot or whatever. Thanks for the thoughts.
joeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Too Old

Framing help needed

It looks like the best way is to cut and furr the out of plumb studs. It may seem like a lot of work but if you cover it up then you will have to live with the end result. Always fix the issue before you cover anything.
joeh (01-09-2012), mae-ling (12-30-2011)