Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

framing and header size for garden shed

I'm making a simple garden shed -- 6 x 10 feet. I want to use two old 4-ft. wide garage doors on one side. One door will be fixed and the 2nd will be sliding. I'm assuming the best way to do this would be to frame the entire opening, but this will be large: 8 feet.

Is this the best approach or should I just make an opening for the single door -- and if so, how do I frame around the fixed door?

Also, we're planning a shallow-sloping, living roof so the load on the roof could be about 40 to 50 lbs/sq. ft.

Any suggestions on what size header to use for the 8 ft. opening -- or a place where I can look this up.

jcall100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

framing and header size for garden shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcall100 View Post
I'm making a simple garden shed -- 6 x 10 feet. I want to use two old 4-ft. wide garage doors on one side. One door will be fixed and the 2nd will be sliding. I'm assuming the best way to do this would be to frame the entire opening, but this will be large: 8 feet.

Is this the best approach or should I just make an opening for the single door -- and if so, how do I frame around the fixed door?

Also, we're planning a shallow-sloping, living roof so the load on the roof could be about 40 to 50 lbs/sq. ft.

Any suggestions on what size header to use for the 8 ft. opening -- or a place where I can look this up.
I would use a double 2X8, or double 2X10 for that span, assuming 8'.
A 2X8 should span 10' according to my state's code.
But since the one door will be fixed, that probably means you'll have a double stud in between the two doors, which means really your header is spanning less than 4', right? Could probably use a double 2X6, run continuous with a doubled stud in the middle. Then essentially your fastening the door to the structure as a sort of wall, right? I don't really get the point of this, but it seems pretty straightforward.

Last edited by wombosi; 07-11-2010 at 07:38 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote