DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Framing Gun - Nail Shank Diameter Questions...

13K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MoparAutoworks 
#1 ·
I'm finally making the switch to an air framing gun, instead of doing it by hand.

I am curious about the nail shank diameters for my particular gun though.

Currently hand framing for 8d c.c sinker, shank diameter is approximately 0.110", and for 16d c.c. sinker, shank diameter is 0.145".

For my particular Bostitch gun, and most of the Bostitch framing guns for that matter, the list 2.5" as 0.131" shank diameter. This is larger that what I use hand framing which is fine in my opinion.

However for the 3.5" nails, coated the list 0.131", 0.135", and 0.162" shank diameter. The first two are smaller while the last one seems significantly larger.

I also notice for galvanized 3.5" they only list the 0.131" shank diameter. These I would typically be using for treated wood framing.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts were and what everyone is using.

Thanks for the help. Adam

See less See more
#5 ·
I have the Senco 702XP

Bought it recently with some careful consideration. There was also the 752XP model, which seems identical, except it drives up to 0.162" shank diameter. It cannot, however, drive the 0.113" nails (Senco listing), so the higher model drives a "bracket" of shank sizes larger than the lower model.

I did some search for stock availability at my local outlets, and came to the conclusion that the hefty 0.162" is hardly necessary, while the 0.113" is stocked in many ring-shank lengths. Building codes require as much as 16d smooth shank commons, which is actually less than 0.162". That's how I decided to get the 702XP. It was all I needed. The sizes I proceeded to get are equivalents of what the bldg code requires - 10d and 8d - in 0.131" shank, which is nearly identical to the commons. I'm not a professional framer, so this is only my personal analysis.

I would be impressed if your Bostitch can drive the 0.162" *and* the 0.110".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.