Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Framing Gable Roof Over Existing Roof Help

This weekend I attempted to start my gable roof. It turned into a disaster. A few weeks ago I pour sono tubes 48 inches deep with an anchor bolt in them. This week I tighten the anchor bolt to the 4x4 support bracket and nailed the 4x4 bracket to the 4x4 when I had it nice and leveled. I previously cut into the exiting roof so I can run my 2x8 through it and attach it to my topplate that my existing rafters and joist are on.
Issues I experienced that I need help with…

Balancing the 2x8 on top of the 4x4 was very hard to do. So I put two nails on top of the 4x4 to keep the 2x8 on it. I was VERY surprised how unsturdy the 4x4 was. I continued and put the 2 4x4 post up used some 2x4 to help keep it from falling over ran my 2 2x8 into the roof. Then ran a 2x8 in from of the roof. The problem I had was nailing the 2 2x8 together with 16d 3 ˝ nails and balance it on the 4x4. Multiple time the joist was falling off the other post when I was trying to hammer. This just didn’t seem sturdy. When I was nailed the 2x8 kept pulling away from the other 2x8…. I was trying to toe nail the nails. I ended up taking it all down. I want to do it right this weekend. I believe screws will be much easier. Is it okay to use screws? What kind? When I connect the 3 joist together how to I attach where they meet on the 4x4? Advise on attaching joist to the topplate? I tried a bracket but I have very limited roof since it is almost right against the existing rafters and joist. I want to make sure this is a strong structure. I have a framing nailer I didn’t use for this project but those nails always seems to pull out easily so I was trying to stay away from them. Advise please…. This framing will not be closed I want to leave it open for the rustic look so I would prefer not to use the 4x4 brackets for the joist on the top.
Instead of working on a ladder I have someone letting me borrow a scaffold

ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
I have gas!

It's very difficult to follow. Do you have any pics?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 34

Should be using 6 X 6's not 4 X 4's, no screws are used in framing.
Just nails.
Should be using a framing gun, a whole lot easier.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #4

I took everything down. The issue I am having is laying the 2x8 joist on the 4x4 post. Then connecting the 2x8 together. As indicated I was debating 4x4 or 6x6 I was told to use a 4x4 since I will be building it out and adding a stone base to it. The framing nailer I have the nails seem to be weak and easy to pull out. On the box it just says framing nails 28 degree angle galvanized.
ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote