Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Framing a Doorway in the Basement

I am trying to frame a rough opening for a prehung door that I plan to install. First, I am trying to install it under the center beam in my basement. It is not as tall as I would like, so I am wondering if I can get by without using a traditional header. The opening I have after installing framing is around 80". The rough opening for the 80" door is supposed to be 82". I would like to trim the jamb and door to make it fit, if I can do so without needing a header above it. I have included a diagram to try to illustrate the issue.

Second, I believe the base of the door jamb will go directly on the concrete (B) rather than resting on the bottom plate (A). Since it is not treated lumber, is this a problem? Or am I incorrect with where I am putting the bottom of the jamb? Thank you very much in advance for any assistance/advice you can provide.

http://www.diychatroom.com/attachmen...1&d=1175120675
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Copy of Basement Question Sketch.bmp (19.3 KB, 628 views)

leted_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leted_82 View Post
I am trying to frame a rough opening for a prehung door that I plan to install. First, I am trying to install it under the center beam in my basement. It is not as tall as I would like, so I am wondering if I can get by without using a traditional header. The opening I have after installing framing is around 80". The rough opening for the 80" door is supposed to be 82". I would like to trim the jamb and door to make it fit, if I can do so without needing a header above it. I have included a diagram to try to illustrate the issue.
Yes, you do not need a structural header on that door. You can try to mount the frame flush against the beam...and cutting the jambs and door down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leted_82 View Post
Second, I believe the base of the door jamb will go directly on the concrete (B) rather than resting on the bottom plate (A). Since it is not treated lumber, is this a problem? Or am I incorrect with where I am putting the bottom of the jamb? Thank you very much in advance for any assistance/advice you can provide.
It sounds like you are correct. It should not be a problem to mount the door directly on the concrete floor, assuming that you don't have a seriously damp basement.

If you are really concerened, a simple solution is to apply water proof paint over the concrete floor ...or just around the area of the door openings....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Remodeler

Place a couple neoprene spacers under the door jambs to keep it off the floor. Your going to cut the frame anyway. Might as well get it off the floor another 1/2".
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote