Framing Closet - Header ? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
GBunny

Rewards Points: 37

Framing Closet - header ?

After having problems with a few contractors, I've decided that a woman can do this job too. My closets had floor to ceiling sliding doors and I'm going to attempt building a header and changing the opening to accommodate either bifolds or prehung doors - is one better than the other?

Have I figured out the measurements correctly?

43" opening
-8" (2 king & 2 jack studs)
-30" door
5" remains

How much bigger does the opening have to be than the door - 1/2"?

Do I put the header at 82.5"?

What is the best way to fill the extra 4" or 4.5"? Put in a couple more studs and some shims?

Is it easier to make the frame on the floor or just build it on the walls?

Thank you.

Advertisement

GBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Since the previous doors went floor to ceiling, you really should not need a structural header for the replacement doors. The closet door opening must be a non-load bearing wall, or the header would already have been in place.

Add 2 inches to the width and height of the door SLAB when laying out the door rough opening. Standard RO size for a 30 inch door is 32" wide by 82" tall to the underside of the RO header. The cripples will be 80 1/2 inches tall sitting on the 1 1/2" bottom plate.

When doing your calculations, note that a 2 x 4 is actually 1 1/2" by 3 1/2" after drying/jointing/planing. The 2 x 8 header is actually only 1 1/2 by 7 1/2 inches.
Fill in the top of the header with short lengths of 2 by material on 16 inch centres for drywall nailing.

Attached is a drawing showing the infill wall assuming a 43" wide opening changed to fit a 30" slab door. Note also that bifold doors are commonly shorter by an inch, so you are better to use this full size and shortening the height later. It is easier to fill-in the opening rather than the other way.

[edit]
I actually use 82 1/2" cripples and fill under the header using the door opening bottom plate after it is cut out. The door cut-out is used as a place at the bottom of the header to nail drywall and the door casing on trim-out. Works better, but the drawing does not show this. You will need to use a piece of 2 by material on edge to allow for nailing inside the opening or adjust the measurement of the cripples to allow for this taller cripple, etc.
[/edit]
Attached Thumbnails
Framing Closet - header ?-closet.jpg  

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

might be able to see the dimensions better in this image.

Attached Images

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote