Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

Share |

Framing between windows

I'm trying to figure out the framing in a new addition and have several windows side by side (about a 4' rough opening). Can I eliminate the second king stud so I have the following: trimmer to support the left window header, King stud, trimmer to support the right window header. Or should I keep it so I have trimmer, king, king, trimmer?

Last edited by shazapple; 07-05-2012 at 08:30 AM.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #2

Framing between windows

You also need to think about the outside brickmould and siding and the trim inside.

Not sure if it will meet code for you, here we can run a continuous header and then put trimmers underneath it to go between the windows.

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Framing between windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazapple
I'm trying to figure out the framing in a new addition and have several windows side by side (about a 4' rough opening). Can I eliminate the second king stud so I have the following: trimmer to support the left window header, King stud, trimmer to support the right window header. Or should I keep it so I have trimmer, king, king, trimmer?
All you need a single king stud with one trimmer on each side. Or if you don't want 4-1/2" in between you can frame a big enough header for both windows with 2 - 2x4s in between giving you 3" .
Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Framing between windows

as mae-ling and Joe mentioned, one solid header with either a single stud spaced between the windows or a double stud between the windows. it might be easier this way instead of headers for every window...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote