Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #1

Share |

framing a basement wall

quick question because it seems to be skipped over on all the tutorials or write ups I've seen.

how do you properly secure the wooden framing for a basement wall? I'm hesitant to jump the conclusion that you use masonry screws to screw it into the wall or floor, can you just use liquid nail or.....?

yea, looking to know what i'm missing.

thanks.

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #2

framing a basement wall

Finishing my basement now. I used a ramset to attach the base plate to the concrete floor and screwed the top plate into the floor joists. Make sure you use PT for the base plate.

Bcoleman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #3

framing a basement wall

so the ramset looks like a glorified nailgun, is that correct? did you frame everything on the ground and lift it into place? and about the PT, are you supposed to use PT for everything that touches the concrete? if so does that mean the frames should also use it, or did u just put the rigid foam insulation as a solid wall agains the outside wall so that the base plate was really the only thing touching the concrete?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #4

framing a basement wall

A ramset uses a charge to drive the nail into the concrete. I bought the cheap one that you hit with a hammer, it works great. I placed 2" foam against the wall so only the base plate touched the concrete and thus is the only PT I used. My building inspector signed off on this plan.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #5

framing a basement wall

I built my wall in place because I live in an old house and the difference from one stud to next was up to 1/2".
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #6

framing a basement wall

so is there any other way to secure the base plate? I'm kind of hesitant about putting holes in the concrete with nails, or is it really just not that big of a deal?

*also, I'll be laying tile first wall to wall, so I don't think I'd be cool with driving a nail into that for concern of splitting the tile.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #7

framing a basement wall

Putting a hole in the concrete slab will not increase basement flooding. If your basement was vulnerable to flooding, you would already have seen it seeping between the wall and the floor, or through a pre-existing crack.

I used Liquid Nails and concrete nails. I did not have an explosive nailing gadget so I just drove the latter by hand and they penetrated only about an eighth of an inch. The floor was not perfectly level and also I was not that accurate cutting the studs so I ended up shimming the wall sections (studs/cap/plate) to the joists overhead to get a tight fit.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-14-2011 at 09:28 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #8

framing a basement wall

Don't know man I'm not a pro, just telling you how I did it. Maybe someone else can help. Or call your building inspector, mine is always very helpful.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #9

framing a basement wall

Be sure to use hot-dipped galvanized nails with the p.t. wood on concrete or galv. coated anchor bolts or stainless steel fasteners. The problem with adhesives is that you want some sill sealer under the plate for an air seal/thermal, capillary break from the warm wall to the cold slab (heat sink). Use the ADA with the drywall and a dense enough batt insulation to prevent thermal loops. No air gap at foam/insulation, fire-block wall every 10' lineally, as per code. No vapor barrier or retarder.
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

http://www.diychatroom.com/f98/how-b...ulation-90438/

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code

http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/743
Check with your B.D. as to vapor barrier, Canada requires differently than most of U.S.

Gary
Old 01-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Framing Contractor

framing a basement wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
so is there any other way to secure the base plate? I'm kind of hesitant about putting holes in the concrete with nails, or is it really just not that big of a deal?
Don't worry about that, it's done every day. Nails or screws doesn't make a difference.

Quote:
*also, I'll be laying tile first wall to wall, so I don't think I'd be cool with driving a nail into that for concern of splitting the tile.
Why would you do that? Frame all your walls first nailing a PT plate into the slab first then install your tile. Are you framing walls only around the perimeter of the basement and no walls anywhere else? One big open room?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #11

framing a basement wall

Beat me to it Joe. Tile after, you can also use blue screws if youy dont want or hacve a ramset.
ubenhad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #12

framing a basement wall

As mentioned above, pt bottom sill with sill seal under it. Hammer powered Ramset/Hilti guns are fairly inexpensive. The nails only have to penetrate 1/2" or so as it's lateral movement you're concerned with, not holding it down.
For basement walls that go perpendicular to the joists, don't go measuring each stud. Nail a bottom plate and a top plate. Then measure for the shortest stud, minus 3" for top and bottom plate (unless the variance is 1" or more. Then build your wall on the ground and stand it up, placing it between the additional plates. It uses more lumber but beats either pounding in a prebuilt wall or cutting each stud individually and toenailing each one.
Oh yeah...tile AFTER the walls are up!

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote