DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Framing Attic Walls but Roof Has SAG!

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Oldman 
#1 ·
I just purchased a my 1st home and began my first remodeling project. I have completely gutted my attic (which was two makeshift bedrooms) and have begun laying down aluminum track for my walls, with the help of my girlfriends father whos a union carpenter. We ran into a problem when we started to run the upper track on the roof rafters to begin framing the 4 ft. kneewall towards the front portion of the house. We discovered the roof has quite a bow in it which has thrown off the top portion of the wall where it meets the pitched cieling of the attic. The height of the wall will be lower towards the center and higher towards the exterior of the home. Sucks considering the amount of work we've put into it to make sure the job is done right. Whats the best solution in this situation! It quite a crisis since the room will be our bedroom and were living out of boxes in a side room in the main floor of our house. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

#2 ·
My experience with this problem is usually solved by finding the lowest point, then packing out the underside of the rafters to be the same as the lower (sagged) ones, then running the knee wall. It sounds as if you are trying to use metal studes (Upper and lower track), I'd not use metal because I'd be afraid of further roof sag, I'd use conventional 2x4's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.