Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #1

Share |

Framing around an I-beam and plumbing stack

Hello all,

I'm currently renovating a basement and am framing walls at this time. I'm using 2x4's and Roxul insulation. I have an I-beam that runs vertically right next to my foundation. I'm looking for tips on how to frame around it and also what I should do to insulate it.

I have a vertical plumbing stack which I need to frame around as well, however the insulation will fit behind the stack. Insulation will not fit behind the I-beam as it is right against the foundation wall

Attached are some pictures. I was thinking of framing a 2x4 wall all around the I-beam and filling the void with Roxul, however if possible I'd like to have a thinner wall on the face of the I-beam so as to not reduce the walking space in front of it.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks everyone

Last edited by Lemkie; 12-06-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #2

The framed wall with insulation on all three sides of the column is best but if you need the space in front of the column you can install a thermal break, on the front of the column, e.g. anything that does not transfer heat such as a piece of lumber or some sill siller material or the like. You will trade off some energy efficiency for space but it will be worth it.

TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #3

Would continuing my vapour barrier all around the column be suitable enough to put drywall right over top? I plan on insulating the sides but I'm looking to save as much room as possible on the front.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #4

I think that metal beam was put there to hold the foundation from caving in. I would first make sure the reason for that I beam.
Closing it in may quicken the rusting. But you can frame with PT 2x3 flush with the face of the beam, so that only sheetrock protrudes. Use glue for trim here. Don't insulate inside. Insulation may become wet then you have other problems. Consider using something like vinyl soffit vent pieces to close the beam. May not look great, but at least give the beam chance to stay dry.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
I think that metal beam was put there to hold the foundation from caving in. I would first make sure the reason for that I beam.
Closing it in may quicken the rusting. But you can frame with PT 2x3 flush with the face of the beam, so that only sheetrock protrudes. Use glue for trim here. Don't insulate inside. Insulation may become wet then you have other problems. Consider using something like vinyl soffit vent pieces to close the beam. May not look great, but at least give the beam chance to stay dry.
The I-Beam connects to a horizontal beam above it which is what I originally thought it was supporting. It could be supporting the wall as well I'm not really sure how to tell. Does this affect how I should close it in?