Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #1

Share |

Framing an angled wall

I hope I describe this correctly, so here goes nothing:

From a top view, imagine two walls meeting to form a 90 degree outside corner. What I want to do is knock off this outside corner and frame in a door that is 45 degrees to each wall. This angled wall will be nearly 4" long.

I can frame each wall, as well as the angled wall, with one exception: How should I make the connection between each wall and the angled wall? Can anyone point me to a picture/blueprint/drawing that shows some examples?

Thanx!!

TBF

TheBrownsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #2

Framing an angled wall

Where the two walls meet- cut angled lumber (wedged shape) to fit and then nail.

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #3

Framing an angled wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrownsFan View Post
I hope I describe this correctly, so here goes nothing:

From a top view, imagine two walls meeting to form a 90 degree outside corner. What I want to do is knock off this outside corner and frame in a door that is 45 degrees to each wall. This angled wall will be nearly 4" long.

I can frame each wall, as well as the angled wall, with one exception: How should I make the connection between each wall and the angled wall? Can anyone point me to a picture/blueprint/drawing that shows some examples?

Thanx!!

TBF
if its rough stone take out stone here and there tie in. once again if brickwork remove as required cut in horizonally every second brick top and bottom halfway gently chisel out half a brick back and front i would cut a straight line back and front (disccutter) hire shop diamond tip blade then every second brick tie in (remember to put in foundation below new wall line ..if your just cutting back the wall sticking in some posts it will look ---- regards mike
custom_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:18 AM   #4

Framing an angled wall

I go a little extreme on these kind of walls.I like to have real solid corners so I use 2x6 on the corners and I rip them on the table saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Framing an angled wall-anglewall.jpg  
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Framing an angled wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylh View Post
I go a little extreme on these kind of walls.I like to have real solid corners so I use 2x6 on the corners and I rip them on the table saw.

That is key in getting the corners right (using the 2x6's and ripping the angles down to match the angle of your corners)
Make sure that you nail these corners together as well, not just toe-nailing them on the plates alone.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #6

Framing an angled wall

Absolutely, I place 2 nails top and bottom and every 2 feet. Talk about a corner thats tough as nails (ha ha ha).
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Framing an angled wall

I always set two studs square flush with the inside corner and rip a 2x4 with the first cut at 45 degrees and measure over the same distance from that cut and then set the saw back to 0 and make the second rip.
Attached Thumbnails
Framing an angled wall-45-oustide-corner.jpg  
Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #8

Framing an angled wall

Many thanx to all that responded! TBF
TheBrownsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
with Mrs. Jeep

Framing an angled wall

Late to the party..... but when I recently framed my basement, I cut the top and bottom plates at 22.5 degrees to form the 45 degree angles.

JeepCop is offline   Reply With Quote