Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

Framing

I was wondering how the rafters can be attached to the rim joist instead of the plates? I have a neighbor doing a addition with 2x12 ceiling joists on a 2x6 wall and a rim joist around the addition on a hip roof.

munsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #2

Framing

Why wouldn't you do both? You're going to have a few inches of wood at least at the top plate to lay the joists/rafters on. Doing a single rim joist?

Or do you mean where the addition meets the existing structure? You could do joist hangers there.

Last edited by mikegp; 08-27-2014 at 05:45 PM.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegp For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Framing

They can.... You're just not going to have alot of headroom.....

Honestly.... I'd want an eng stamping that.

If I understand you, you'd only have a 1.5" birdsmouth on a relatively flimsy attached rim.

Why..... what's the point/objective...????

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 08-27-2014 at 05:53 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTN REMODEL LLC For This Useful Post:
munsterman (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Framing

If the rafters are in line with the joists, they can be fully bearing and connected with some plywood gussets. You could also install a plate on top of the rim/joists and then install the rafters.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #5

Framing

I am just observing this and could not figure out how this would pass a frame inspection? yes the bearing point or birds mouth is only on 1 1/2 " The exterior is sheered but still looks like a hinge or weak point. I was just checking if some new methods have been discovered?
munsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to munsterman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #6

Framing

in my area we'd do a box frame for the floor (attic or 2nd) and then attach a 2x6 plate laid flat on floor deck to the rim and floor joists. Rafters are attached to the plate with a 6" bird's mouth so that our wood sheathing runs up and connects to the side of the 2x6 plate.

the rafter sitting on the rim joist alone would want to push out the top of the rim unless there was a structural ridge beam or a stronger connection than merely a few toe-nails through the rafter into the rim joist. The rim joist would be attached to the joists with nails in withdrawal in the end grain. Not much holding power there.

joist hangers used to connect the rim to the joist does little as it is face nailed into the rim and with sufficient rafter thrust would still push the top of the rim out.

At least in my opinion.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Framing

If I understand correctly....... I'm with Gary!!!!

But why do you want to drop rafters on a rim.... why not block and land on top plates..... did someone build the walls too short for a tie-in.........

I suspect an eng can design an assembly....but why?????
Old 08-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #8

Framing

Rafters and ceiling joists reinforce each other in a triangle figure. So the connections are important in resisting the figure from falling apart.
Seems simple, but I don't know what you want to do. Usually, the ends of the ceiling joists are cut to the slope of the rafters. Rafters sit on the top plates. Each frame member is nailed to whatever it touches and to each other. The joints or connections are reinforced twice or more. Even then, esp with roof, nails are not what holds up the roof. It is something like load bearing ridge beam or rafter ties.

Was there a mistake? It happens.

By the way, this is not the way to gain extra room.

Last edited by carpdad; 08-28-2014 at 07:27 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote