Framed Box For Refridgerator Into Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

framed box for refridgerator into garage

Hey all,

The way our kitchen presently is, the fridge sticks about about 18 inches beyond the counters at a place in our kitchen that's a the walkway from the garage to the living room. As such, this lost space prevents us from putting in an island. It also just looks awkward.

Thus, I want to cut a fridge-sized hole into the wall behind it and push it in so the front of the fridge is flush with the face of the counters.

Behind the fridge is the garage so I've got easy access on the back.

I'll want to fully insulate this "box".

However, the concrete garage floor is about 10 inches lower than my kitchen floor.

So, to build the supports and "floor" for this framed "box" in the garage, how should I do it? Can I just lay or cut framing (perhaps treated) 10 inches high and lay it right on the cement? And lay insulation in there? Then subfloor over it for the supporing floor for the fridge?

Or should I use some sort of metal footers to keep the framing off the concrete?

When done, I plan to drywall this on both the garage side and inside of the box on the kitchen side. And on the garage side, for asthetics, I wanted the drywall to go to the floor, where I'll use molding that matches the existing garage molding so it looks seamless. I don't want a visible air gap under the fridge or this box "hanging" because that open void underneath would be a haven for spiders and lost toys.

I'm thinking if I have 10 inches, if viewed from the side with x-ray vision, the best scenario would be the outside frame (about 2x4 feet by 10 inches high) sitting on the concrete. 2x4 inch joists would create the floor support, and rolled insulation would be tacked in, then subfloor on top. Thus - there would be about 4-5 inches of dead air between the concrete floor and insulation. Then finish on the outside with drywall and trim as noted.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You will need to use firecode sheetrock on the garage side. Use pressure treated bottom plates over tar paper or sill seal. Make sure you tape and compound the garage side. You want to make sure it maintains a seal against fire and car exhausts.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #3

Thanks Ron - I planned to finish the garage side and paint - so the drywall and floor trim job would look the same as inside.

But regarding your note about tar paper or sill seal - I'm not sure I follow. Would I cut a piece of tar paper about 2x4 feet so the entire area under this thing is covered - and place the flooring joists on it as well?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Custom User Title

Rewards Points: 252

I did this same project last year. I used pressure treated where the wood touched the concrete floor in the garage and then framed it up. Overall, it was pretty simple job and was done in a week. Check it out at this link: Small kitchen remodel (before & after)
no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post
Thanks Ron - I planned to finish the garage side and paint - so the drywall and floor trim job would look the same as inside.

But regarding your note about tar paper or sill seal - I'm not sure I follow. Would I cut a piece of tar paper about 2x4 feet so the entire area under this thing is covered - and place the flooring joists on it as well?
You can do that too. I was referring to just putting in under any wood that came into contact with the concrete
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #6

I've got the framing sorted out in my head. But presently, there is a 3 inch high copper pipe coming out from the floor from behind the fridge. It's got a valve/shut off on it. My fridge water supply line runs to this.

I'll need to move it. Any ideas on location? There is a cabinet to the left of the fridge. I could go into my basement, kill the water, then re-run that pipe so it (and the valve) comes up into the back corner of that cabinet. Then with a small hole in the side of the cabinet, I could run an extended fridge water hose.

Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Quote:
Thoughts?
Ayuh,... Sounds like a Plan, as long as it won't freeze...

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote