Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Framed basement during summer now everything is off its mark!

I framed my basement over the summer and was put out of commission with a medical condition. I am back to normal and was planning on completing the basement walls next week during my vacation.

About an hour ago I decided to "mess around" in the basement and did a rough fit of a framed door that I plan on using. The door opening is totally off. The last time I tried to put the door in my measurements were on the money. I started looking around and realized that a lot of the studs warped out of shape. Most are not a big deal but a few are noticeable. Most of the major movement has occurred around the two door frames and an alcove that I plan on putting a utility sink in.

What are my options in a situation like this? By the way, I put down a Dricore subfloor. I havent noticed any movement with the floor as of yet other than some contouring to the slab.

Leoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #2

got pictures to show us?

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 AM   #3

I'll take some when I get home today.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #4

Where did you get the lumber, was it KD?? S-dry lumber at big box stores often has a lot of moisture, so when it dries it shrinks and often warps. Also, during the summer humidity levels are usually higher than winter, so wood will move with the seasons.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #5

The lumber came from lowes and HD. It was labeled as KD but I had to make three trips to purchase wood so some of it might not have been the same.

My main question is: What do I do now? Do I bang and screw the wood back in place? Or do I replace the pieces that are the most warped? I am ready for sheetrocking but am afraid to do so with the wood the way it is.

Also, will the wood then move when the summer humidity comes in? Does the sheetrock help the wood keep its place?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Humidity + KD wood + poor nailing patterns/nails not long enough = frame warpage.

Also: Method of securing bottom plates to concrete + method of securing top plates to the home's overhead framing = ?

That's my vote.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Humidity + KD wood + poor nailing patterns/nails not long enough = frame warpage.

Also: Method of securing bottom plates to concrete + method of securing top plates to the home's overhead framing = ?

That's my vote.
I secured the bottom plate with a Ramset and concrete nails. The top place was shot in place using 3 inch nails.

I acknowledge that I did not have the best nailing practice being that this was my first time framing. I got better as I went along but some areas were not that great.

So what should I do in my situation? I need some suggestions. Im at work so I can't load any pics yet.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #8

It's a very small job to refame the offending areas. Sometimes you can just cut one stud on each side, sister the assembly and screw the whole thing together. If the warp is too great, cut the jacks and kings out and replace them.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
It's a very small job to refame the offending areas. Sometimes you can just cut one stud on each side, sister the assembly and screw the whole thing together. If the warp is too great, cut the jacks and kings out and replace them.
Ron
Okay. That was what I was thinking of as a worst case scenario. I also thought about screwing some of the framing for the door together. One side of the door frame has visible gaps from the warping. I can push it together by hand so I figured that a few screws would line things up. Any comments on that?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskee View Post
Okay. That was what I was thinking of as a worst case scenario. I also thought about screwing some of the framing for the door together. One side of the door frame has visible gaps from the warping. I can push it together by hand so I figured that a few screws would line things up. Any comments on that?

Thanks.
There should be two studs on each side of the door opening, secured together every 16" or so, from top to bottom. They should be one unit, not two pieces of wood in proximity to one another.
Ron
Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #11

I have 2 studs next to each other as you described. I shot 3" nails but not every 16". Maybe this is part of the reason why they started warping, besides the humidity and all. These are the two that I thought about screwing together in an effort to "straighten" them out.

I'll post pics when I get home.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskee View Post
I have 2 studs next to each other as you described. I shot 3" nails but not every 16". Maybe this is part of the reason why they started warping, besides the humidity and all. These are the two that I thought about screwing together in an effort to "straighten" them out.

I'll post pics when I get home.

Thanks.
Screwing them together might work if they're warped in opposite directions.
You should have a dehumidifier in the basement to control the humidity. During the Winter, humidity shouldn't be an issue as the heat will dry out the house. You should keep the humidity under 60%(mid 50%'s is better) to avoid dampness, condensation and the results it spawns.
Ron
Old 02-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #13

I do have a dehumidifier down there that I run during the summer. In the winter it is off. I just got home and will post some pics in a little while.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #14

Did you Crown all the studs before the framing started?
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #15

Bottom line is your are pretty much SOL. Given what you have described the only way to fix it right is yank it out and put new in. I framed all my walls with fingerjoint studs, just a little bit more, but the warping and lumber quality is better for me.

eddiemoney is offline   Reply With Quote