Frame In A Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 43

Frame In A Ceiling

Where do i start? the 4 bedrooms have exposed "vaulted" ceilings/roof. I want to frame it in at around 8' and insulate. basically do i need to rip away a 'valley' of the plaster and join the ceiling joists to the wall studs, or can i do i perimeter of 2x6 along the walls and attach the joists to that? if more info is needed, or a photo or two, lemme know...

i tried searching the board for this, i couldnt find anything specific
Attached Thumbnails
Frame In A Ceiling-005.jpg   Frame In A Ceiling-003.jpg  

Advertisement

altc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,250

Frame In A Ceiling

You could do a perimeter as you described and hang joists from them. Have you considered spray foaming the space between the exposed beams and then just attaching some strapping across the beams and drywall to the strapping?

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jogr For This Useful Post:
altc81 (04-20-2010)
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #3

Frame In A Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
You could do a perimeter as you described and hang joists from them. Have you considered spray foaming the space between the exposed beams and then just attaching some strapping across the beams and drywall to the strapping?
So whats the most practical way to install the ledger? would it even be the most sound practice? or removing the plaster and actually attaching the joists to the studs be in code.
ive considered the 2nd part, but i dont want the sloped ceiling and when i do replace the roof, those panels would be ripped off (the panels are basically the ceiling on the inside and sheathing for the asphalt shingles.

Last edited by altc81; 04-21-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,250

Frame In A Ceiling

Since this is basically just a drop ceiling you could probably just use 3 or 4 16 penny nails through both the new 2x6 ledger and old drywall into each wall stud. I see you may need to reroute some ductwork.

I'm a little concerned that you are creating an unvented, unconditioned attic - small but there nonetheless. Maybe not a big deal but unvented attics can have condensation issues and/or heat buildup that shortens roof life in some climates.

Another option is that when you reroof you can put down foam insulation boards on top of the existing sheathing, cover with more sheathing and reroof. With that slope do you have a tar and gravel or membrane roof? Most of the roofing companies that do that know how to add foamboard insulation. But then you'll still have the sloped ceiling.

I kind of like that style roof/ceiling except for the insulation issues.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #5

Frame In A Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Since this is basically just a drop ceiling you could probably just use 3 or 4 16 penny nails through both the new 2x6 ledger and old drywall into each wall stud. I see you may need to reroute some ductwork.

I'm a little concerned that you are creating an unvented, unconditioned attic - small but there nonetheless. Maybe not a big deal but unvented attics can have condensation issues and/or heat buildup that shortens roof life in some climates.

Another option is that when you reroof you can put down foam insulation boards on top of the existing sheathing, cover with more sheathing and reroof. With that slope do you have a tar and gravel or membrane roof? Most of the roofing companies that do that know how to add foamboard insulation. But then you'll still have the sloped ceiling.

I kind of like that style roof/ceiling except for the insulation issues.
seeing that there is actually no hvac unit in the house (only thrashed ductwork), its really not an issue to rework the ductwork... but i will do it anyway for future improvements =)
as far as venting goes... cant i bore holes in the wood between the beams and screen them in? is there a way i can add a temp roof vent til i replace the roof. i assume each room would need a roof vent since the walls segregate any attic space.

i appreciate any input
Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #6

Frame In A Ceiling

can i get some more help on this topic please.
id love to get started... and the idea of the header seems like a great method to go, but i want to make sure it will be safe.

i posted a pic with the framing drawn in- the top plate is parallel with the floor and i want to make sure it will be ok to nail the ledger into that? or should i remove all the plaster above and frame from the exposed framing?
Attached Thumbnails
Frame In A Ceiling-003.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Frame In A Ceiling

Why do you want to make the room even smaller than it is by building walls all around?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #8

Frame In A Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Why do you want to make the room even smaller than it is by building walls all around?

the drawing on the picture is a just a layer of what the frame under the plaster looks like. im not building new walls over the existing.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,280

Frame In A Ceiling

What is the span you are covering?

There will be a simple and inexpensive way of doing this without causing you too much grief. The venting issue can be easily handled as well.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #10

Frame In A Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
What is the span you are covering?

There will be a simple and inexpensive way of doing this without causing you too much grief. The venting issue can be easily handled as well.

oooooo! now i feel important

span is no more than 139" 11.6 feet
room is 11' x 11 1/2'
venting suggestion would help too!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #11

Frame In A Ceiling

At under 12' this is a piece of cake.

I don't know what the ceiling height is presently around the outside (low end) of your beams, but if you are planning on making an 8' high ceiling, which is a standard height, it might be useful for any future remodeling you may end up doing.

You can install 2 x 6's around the outside of your walls at your desired height, then simply fill in with 2 x 6 joists at 16" on center for the length of the room. I expect the beams will stay, so if necessary, you could add a vertical support piece in the middle of any joists which line up with the overhead beams.

Once the joists are in, add whatever insulation you want, followed by the vapour barrier. Usually 6 mil poly. This will be followed by your actual ceiling, perhaps drywall.

You can get some small round push-in vents, very inexpensive, which you drill a small hole between the studs and push into place. Check with whatever your local building supply place has. Obviously, you do this in the unheated space above your new ceiling.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #12

Frame In A Ceiling

Quote:
At under 12' this is a piece of cake.

I don't know what the ceiling height is presently around the outside (low end) of your beams, but if you are planning on making an 8' high ceiling, which is a standard height, it might be useful for any future remodeling you may end up doing.

You can install 2 x 6's around the outside of your walls at your desired height, then simply fill in with 2 x 6 joists at 16" on center for the length of the room. I expect the beams will stay, so if necessary, you could add a vertical support piece in the middle of any joists which line up with the overhead beams.

Once the joists are in, add whatever insulation you want, followed by the vapour barrier. Usually 6 mil poly. This will be followed by your actual ceiling, perhaps drywall.

You can get some small round push-in vents, very inexpensive, which you drill a small hole between the studs and push into place. Check with whatever your local building supply place has. Obviously, you do this in the unheated space above your new ceiling.

YES! thats exactly what i have im mind! that sounds like the plan verbatum! my only reservation about the project was/is... that the construction is sound/stable... and not too far off code .
Old 05-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #13

Frame In A Ceiling

This is not a ceiling that you will be walking on, i.e. with a floor on top, so you should be within code. If you have any ceiling lighting either in place, or that you wish to add, now would be the time to do that as well.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 AM   #14

Frame In A Ceiling

Quote:
This is not a ceiling that you will be walking on, i.e. with a floor on top, so you should be within code. If you have any ceiling lighting either in place, or that you wish to add, now would be the time to do that as well.
No walking on this! and yes i plan on wiring in a ceiling fan fixture
Old 05-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #15

Frame In A Ceiling

Right! That might be a good idea...just add a piece of 2 x 6 blocking on the flat in between the two appropriate joists and you're in business!

Advertisement