Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #1

Share |

Fountation for an Outdoor Waterwall fountain

I am putting up an outdoor waterwall about 6' high and about 5' wide, supported by two 6x6 PT posts. The image is similar to idea. The facing of the water feature will be a natural stone veneer, so will be quite heavy, and although will be close to the back of a fenced yard, so wind shouldn't be a problem, I am concerned still about lateral load since the stone veneer will only be on the one side. Framing between the two 6x6 posts will all be PT 2x4's.

I have already dug the two 4' foundation holes for the 6x6 posts, but am debating with myself to either use 10' posts with 4' embedded in the concrete (great for strength, not great for wood in contact with moisture from concrete) OR use 12" diameter sonotubes with rebar, and a stainless steel connector on the top, to keep the wood above the grade.

Thanks is advance
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Fountation for an Outdoor Waterwall fountain-water-feature-2.jpg  

addbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #2

I wouldn't use any wood at all on this. I'd dig a footing below the frostline and install a block wall to hang the veneer from. I'd curve it a bit in a concave shape to give it some support.
Can you do this that close to the property line? I couldn't do it here.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I am good on the city. Since the frost line is 4' here in Ontario I wouldn't want to dig the entire footing that deep. I have changed the size slightly, going only 4 ft high now, and still the 5' across, looks better in relation to the backyard.

Concrete would have other challenges of working with the plumbing behind the stone veneer.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #4

since you don't want to dig it correctly, suggest a lip on it somewhere so you can use a lever to straighten it back up when it heaves/leans/settles.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #5

Sorry itsreallyconc, what I meant was I didn't want to dig an entire fountation for a concrete block wall. if you read the original post I have already dug two 4' holes (12" in diameter) for posts.....so I doubt I'll need the lever
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

I don't want to sound rude or too blunt, but placing a material like NTV stone, which is intended to have a very long lifespan, over something as temporary as treated lumber doesn't sound like a good plan. At the very least, you will have to ensure that there is a good bond break between the two materials, so that when the wood swells & shrinks with temp & weather extremes, it doesn't effect the much more rigid stone veneer.

I'd also recommend more than just 2x4's connecting the two posts.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post: