Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Foundation Work - Installing a walk up stairs

Can someone tell me whether it's possible and associated cost to install a walkup stairs to a basement that has no external access? That would mean digging up the area around where the stairs would be located, cutting out a doorway into the foundation (poured or block), installing possibly a french or single door opening, running a drain line for the bottom of the stairs to the sump, and then pouring the stairs.

Is this even possible for a foundation that's built with block?

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

Probably easier with block because you can score each face of the block wall and remove the area by hand. If your have a concrete wall, it would be best to hire a contractor with a saw and have him get rid of the bog "tombstone".

For the new construction, you obviouslt will need a drain and drain tile to get rid of the water. Pour the footings - you can step them if you have the right location and feel up tp forming and pouring that way. That can minimize the excavation a bit.

It you are lucky enough to have a block basement, you can remove a block on every other block around the opening at the cut and build the new block wall into the existing foundation. If it is poured, you will have to drill holes and epoxy bars into the existing foundation.

Depending on the structure and door size, you may have add a lintel over the new door.

For a cost - that will depend on what you have for a structure, grade, type of soil and access to remove and bring in materials.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Probably easier with block because you can score each face of the block wall and remove the area by hand. If your have a concrete wall, it would be best to hire a contractor with a saw and have him get rid of the bog "tombstone".

For the new construction, you obviouslt will need a drain and drain tile to get rid of the water. Pour the footings - you can step them if you have the right location and feel up tp forming and pouring that way. That can minimize the excavation a bit.

It you are lucky enough to have a block basement, you can remove a block on every other block around the opening at the cut and build the new block wall into the existing foundation. If it is poured, you will have to drill holes and epoxy bars into the existing foundation.

Depending on the structure and door size, you may have add a lintel over the new door.

For a cost - that will depend on what you have for a structure, grade, type of soil and access to remove and bring in materials.

Thanks for your reply. I in no way shape or form will be doing any of this work. I will hire out. My question was moreso whether this is doable and/or whether this is a common thing to be done.

Structurally speaking, my thought was that the poured foundation, even with the opening cut, would still be stronger than a foundation with the concrete blocks when removed, so I will be ok as long as it is doable.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote