Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foundation Waterproof Coatings

I've been looking at the various waterproofing methods for a new house I'm building... new concrete foundation. Does anyone have any experience with Thoroseal Foundation Coating? How is it to prepare and apply. What is its consistency when it is applied? Is your thought that it is better than the elastic coatings? Any thoughts of your experience with it I'd appreciate hearing about.

Also... same thing with Tremco Tuff n Dri.... anyone use this and can you share your thoughts.

I'm trying to decide btwn these two products.

thanks very much.

RINAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,060

Thoroseal is very good and other materials can be applied over it.

The consistance is similar to pancake batter. The wall should or must be prewetted to make the application easier. It is not like putting on paint and it can be sloppy. Misting the wall after a few hours is good. If you want to apply a second coat, do it within the timing perecribed.

Mix according to instructions and if I recall correctly, after the initial mix, you let it sit for a while, add ore water and finish mixing.

If I was to do anything with a wall, the first thing I would do is apply Thoroseal even if there was no sign of moisture. I think it is head and shoulders above Drylok. One you put a paint-type or elastic coating on a wall, you are stuck with that type of product for subsequent applications.

It is actually a part of a line of commercial coating for concrete. Despite not advertising to the DIY market is is popular in spite of frequently being difficult to find in retail outlets.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

I am not familiar with the product you mentioned, I use either a peel and stick membrane or spray-it-blue, follow by a dimple board membrane on top of that. either method works on poured in place or ICF walls or parge coated CMU's.

Can someone give me a link to the product you are looking at.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Chris,

This is a link to the Tuff N' Dri product:
http://www.tuff-n-dri.com/products/default.asp?id=1

This is a link to the Thoroseal product:
http://www.thoroproducts.com/products_waterproofing.htm
(the product on the page to use would be the Thoroseal Foundation Coating.

The blue product you mentioned you use is it called "Multicoat Product Systems"?... I was looking at that product, as well. Have you had good experience with that (if that's the product you had mentioned)??

thanks
RINAIL is offline   Reply With Quote