Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Foundation Wall Crack

My husband has been in charge of household repairs up till now. Now he is sick and it has fallen on my shoulders. Heavy load.

Walking around the outside of the house I see there is a crack in the foundation wall. I notice our neighbor has one on their house, also. Is this a common problem?

How do I fix it?

Thank you.

Loretta

bubblegummom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #2

Foundation Wall Crack

Unfortunately, this is a very general question. Foundation crack repair is generally not a DIY project.

First, the crack needs to be exposed (either from the basement side or by excavation outside the foundation). The orientation of the crack is indicative of what caused it, or what is causing it. Usually it is one of two things...Settlement of the footings or water/soil pressure on the wall.

Whatever's causing the crack needs to be repaired before you even think of addressing the crack. Is there good grade slope away from the house at the location near the crack? Is there an operable sump pump? Are your downspouts and sump pump discharging at least three feet from the house?

Cracks are correctly repaired by injecting epoxy into the crack at high pressure. Simply troweling cement of some sort in the cracks will fill the void, but is not a structural repair.

If the cracks concern you, I'd recommend calling several foundation companies and having them give you free estimates/evaluations.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #3

Foundation Wall Crack

Thank you.

The crack does not go all the way to the ground. It is kind of curved. My best guess is that it happened during the earthquake and I did not notice it because I was not looking for such things.

Loretta
bubblegummom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #4

Foundation Wall Crack

Simpson makes some wall injection kits that they say work pretty well. If it isn't a major crack and you want to DIY the project it might be an option.

They're not cheap though.

http://www.simpsonanchors.com/catalo...ves/index.html
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #5

Foundation Wall Crack

The up-and-down and side-to-side motion of an earthquake can shake an unbolted house off its foundation. 99% of all damage to a home is due to ground shaking, strengthening your home to resist earthquakes and minimize earthquake damage is the best way to protect your home. If you had not yet done a professional check after the earthquake, you can call some foundation repair company who can do a free inspection.
dragonroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #6

Foundation Wall Crack

same advice as in the other forum, loretta,,, still awaiting some answers as i recall
yes.itsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #7

Foundation Wall Crack

I am looking at getting the Simpson kit (or similar ) but wonder if the urethane type (Crackpack Flex H20 might be better from the water intrusion standpoint .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Simpson makes some wall injection kits that they say work pretty well. If it isn't a major crack and you want to DIY the project it might be an option.

They're not cheap though.

http://www.simpsonanchors.com/catalo...ves/index.html

rkpatt is offline   Reply With Quote