Foundation Wall For Covered Porch Turned Sunroom - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Foundation wall for covered porch turned sunroom

I got what I believe is a great idea, but would like the opinions and tips from those in the know.

We not so recently purchased a home with a sunroom that grew from a deck. So as you might have guessed the foundation is virtually non-existent. A layer of insulation, plywood and vinyl siding cover the foundation of deck framing.

The time of year is upon us where I am burning money as we try to keep warm.

My Plan:

-I hope to remove the siding, plywood, etc
-level the earth, then line with gravel
-install and cement (whatever) concrete blocks filing the blocks with gravel
for the first 2-3 layers.
-backfill behind and front with gravel and topsoil

I realize this will likely serve no purpose for support (as I will unlikely be able to place the blocks that closely. -I hope to only eliminate the cold air under the room.

The specifics:

At its highest point, I'm only speaking of 3-4 blocks high
Only two sides; approximately 20' x 20'

Will this stand?
How do I apply a nice cement face to the blocks? -to mask the industrail look; I prefer not to put the siding back up.
What is typical of the layer of cement between blocks? -I want to be certain I seal tightly to the bottom of the room.

Thanks in advance to everyone,

R Davis

Advertisement

robdville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #2
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Why not call it a three season room only? Just kidding

Block it up as high as you can, keep it about 2" down from the existing framing, use semi solids for the top course, install anchor bolts.

Line up a 2x6 P.T. piece of wood and mark the anchor bolts, drill out for the anchor bolts then cut the 2x6 'U' shape to slide it in to the bolts, use shims to hold to up tight to the floor system/existing framing, use high strength grout to fill the gap between top CMU block and bottom of new sill plate, usually have to pack the grout from both sides to get it all the way in and make it effective.

once dry, grout dries quick, remove the shims and grout that gap, install square 2 1/2" washers and nuts on anchor bolts, secure the floor system to the top plate, suggest a A-35 clip from Simpson every 16" or whatever your code requires.

Insulate walls, preferably spray foam, also, if you have heat ducts running see if you can have one added to blow into the area below the floor, hot air rises and it keeps the chill off the floor.

Use dryvit or sto to cover the outside of the blocks, trowel it on, basecoat first than finish coat, essentially it is stucco, just acrylic based

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #3

very nice; thanks for prompt, detailed reply. I have some concern and I may be misunderstanding.

However, this room is finished; floor to ceiling windows and roof. From your explanation, it sounds as though I would need access to the top of the wall (as if I was drilling from floor into. Am I way off?

Thanks again,

R Davis
Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #4

Chris, when you have a moment; would you mind clarifying your plans? -I don't completely follow and can't PM you....this is now my 20th post :-)

Thanks in advance,

R Davis
Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

No, you don't need to access from the top, you are working from the exterior building everything, will need into the 'new' crawlspace to finish it.