Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foundation Wall

My foundation wall is 6 inches off. My GC is stating that it isn't a problem and that I shouldn't be upset over this and that his mason that he used has been doing all his foundations for 20yrs and he doesnt want any problems with him. What should I do? I don't think it is right!
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Wall-foundation1.jpg   Foundation Wall-foundation2.jpg  

kphillips14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Foundation Wall

It is not right. Especially on new construction. The GC should have caught it (and likely did) before setting the framing on it.
Get him to fix it. Are the walls on a slab?

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Foundation Wall

It's about three or four hours of work to fix it. Tell him to get off his butt and do it right.

And he should be ashamed to try and call himself a GC if he is going to let his subs dictate his actions.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-04-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #4

Foundation Wall

Where are you located ?
Not right at all IMO
Not sure if it will make a difference

Is this an outside wall ?
What's going in the middle with the gravel, car port ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Foundation Wall

is the framing correct? if nothing on the wall above, easy to fix now. what goes in the gravel area? is that an 8" or 6" block? could chip it out and pour solid in line with wall. make him fix it, if he does that here who knows what else he'll want you to swallow

Last edited by tpolk; 05-04-2010 at 02:44 PM.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tpolk For This Useful Post:
Willie T (05-05-2010)
Old 05-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Foundation Wall

There will be another slab poured on the rock. That is going to be the garage area. I just talked to my GC about it and he said that it will not cause any problems and that ripping it all out now will be a waste. He said that he can put another wall up right next to the one thats there to cover the area and make it so its centered on the foundation better. It is an outside wall, but the framer said its not a heavy bearing wall.
kphillips14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Foundation Wall

silly wabbits. bearing is bearing. sounds like the framed wall will now be crooked to the roof or upstairs. to bad he wont stand behind his work. did the gc layout the foundation?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,226

Foundation Wall

Other than about a 1/2" strip of the block, what is supporting the sill plate? Is it floating in air?

Looks like your going to have a long worrisome build.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Foundation Wall

When working with others you MUST put your foot down. If you oppose something that they are doing and their work is obviously sub-par then you ARE right and they ARE wrong.

If they don't want to be out of a job they better get to it - it is in your interest to make sure it's done RIGHT - even if it means contracting someone ELSE out to do it instead of them.
tpolk (05-04-2010), Willie T (05-05-2010)
Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 264

Foundation Wall

Sorry, but that work is not acceptable. That wall length looks to be about 10-12' and 6" out in that little bit of distance is something that anyone who knows how to build should have caught that by eye.
rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,136

Foundation Wall

As a mason, I would agree with the majority here: That work is a joke.

The carpenters ar egoing to have to build a another wall to hide that mess, which will cut into the garage and remove some usable space OR your going to look at the open cells of the wall the rest of your time in the house. The latter is actually worse IMO, as it's going to be a constant reminder that you should have put your foot down.

The fact that your GC is scared to say something to the mason about this says a lot as well. The mason has no one to be upset with but himself. That is not acceptable, especially in such a short wall. I've laid thousands of leads in foundations in my career, and I can promise you that a corner that far out of square is VERY EASY to pick up on when constructing. Purely a lack of pride IMO. The fact that your mason, carpenter, & GC seem to accept this kind of "hodge-podge" work means that you really should keep your radar high for he rest of the crap work that will likely follow.

On a positive note, they could probably transfer the load from the wall to the floor joist system fairly simply & effectively. It appears that this is a zero-clearence (no steps) entry, so there should be a substantial dropped floor ledge under the point where the wall is hanging inward.

Best of luck with the build.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Foundation Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
As a mason, I would agree with the majority here: That work is a joke.

The carpenters ar egoing to have to build a another wall to hide that mess, which will cut into the garage and remove some usable space OR your going to look at the open cells of the wall the rest of your time in the house. The latter is actually worse IMO, as it's going to be a constant reminder that you should have put your foot down.

The fact that your GC is scared to say something to the mason about this says a lot as well. The mason has no one to be upset with but himself. That is not acceptable, especially in such a short wall. I've laid thousands of leads in foundations in my career, and I can promise you that a corner that far out of square is VERY EASY to pick up on when constructing. Purely a lack of pride IMO. The fact that your mason, carpenter, & GC seem to accept this kind of "hodge-podge" work means that you really should keep your radar high for he rest of the crap work that will likely follow.

On a positive note, they could probably transfer the load from the wall to the floor joist system fairly simply & effectively. It appears that this is a zero-clearence (no steps) entry, so there should be a substantial dropped floor ledge under the point where the wall is hanging inward.

Best of luck with the build.
I'm beginning to believe that many of today's contractors couldn't even SPELL the word 'PRIDE'. Day after day I receive raving compliments on work I am doing that I consider just fairly good, standard work... nothing special. But around here at least, 'standard' seems to be ultra special compared to the norm.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,386

Foundation Wall

AMEN, willie,,, seems we're mostly repair mechanics these days & i'm astounded @ what we sometimes see,,, then i stop & think - ' those guys got pd & they're gone,,, wtf were they paid ? ? ? ',,, then you ask the h/o & get a shrug,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

my bride, nazgilla, sometimes gets upset when i comment to the manager/owner of a restaurant but i look at it this way,,, if i DON'T say something, that's equivalent to saying their sub-std food/svce/whatever was acceptable & we'll be back,,, 'tain't so, my brother - not in my lifetime anyway

ps - forgot to mention the surprise/shock/disappointment when giving repair estimate for their ****,,, telling 'em it wouldda been cheaper to hire the good guys in the 1st place doesn't help much & their bride's ' i told you so ! ' only adds more salt to the wound !

Last edited by stadry; 05-06-2010 at 07:48 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Foundation Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post

my bride, nazgilla, sometimes gets upset when i comment to the manager/owner of a restaurant but i look at it this way,,, if i DON'T say something, that's equivalent to saying their sub-std food/svce/whatever was acceptable & we'll be back,,, 'tain't so, my brother - not in my lifetime anyway!

:-) Likewise you should never tip an ugly dancer -- they need to move on to a new line of work.

walkman is offline   Reply With Quote