Foundation Tie Holes - How To Fill? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Foundation Tie Holes - How to fill?

Hi,
I have a bunch of tie holes in my concrete foundation. They were originally covered by hydraulic cement, but the builder did such a horrible job that they are mostly incomplete, cracked or outright popped out. There is a bunch of them and, since working with hydraulic cement is not that easy, I was thinking in using polyurethane foam (e.g. Great Stuff) to fill them in. The concrete is dry as a bone and I had never had water issues. I was planning to paint over it with Blue Seal (which I have to do anyways). Is polyurethane a bad idea?

Advertisement

globus999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,476

if exterior, roofing cement,,, interior the same,,, IXNAY on the foam - most pro's use hydraulic 'cause its fast.

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
newer than a newbie...

Rewards Points: 83

Hi there.

I have possible similar issues with my porch. It's concrete has separated from the doorway area. There was some kind of sealant used at one point, but that is cracking. The previous owner did a sloppy job of applying some silicone to cover things up but things are totally cracking now.

Could I not use the expanding foam in the big separation between the concrete porch and then apply a silicone or water based caulking to cover things up to make it nice and clean?
mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #4

notwithstanding you may have some structural support issues that should be addressed, foam or vermiculite can be employed to support the sealant,,, for best results, tho, use foam backer rod,,, remove all the old stuff, CLEAN the sidewalls, install the rod, & seal,,, ' tool ' the sealant to force it against the sidewalls,,, caulk is not a joint sealant.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
if exterior, roofing cement,,, interior the same,,, IXNAY on the foam - most pro's use hydraulic 'cause its fast.
Hi, tx for the answer. Yes, I am aware that the pros use hydraulic, but all of they do a lousy job. they do not fill the holes all the way, which, in my case, average about 6 inches. To fill a 6 inch x 1/2 diameter hole with hydraulic is pretty much mission impossible. Sure, I can slap it on top, but it will penetrate about 1/2 inch tops. That's why I was thinking foam would be far faster. Stick the tube in, press as remove the tube, presto! Sealed. 30's tops per hole. In addition, the foam will stick to the inner walls and will provide an effective water seal (not my case but one never knows). On the other hand 1/2 inch of hydraulic won't provide anything other than a bit of esthetics's. Since the foam won't be exposed to oxygen or UV (from the sun) it won't decompose. Is there any reason why I should not use foam? tx! in advance.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #6

you got a jobonie now its easier to understand,,, i'd have no problem w/your method if you finish w/mortar/hydraulic,,, dampen the conc 1st - never patch a dry surface
Old 06-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,064

"Is there any reason why I should not use foam? " ------ because it is an effective air barrier. Only if it is applied 8" thick is it a water/vapor barrier. http://www.henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/H...l_Brochure.pdf
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1

Be safe, Gary
Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
"Is there any reason why I should not use foam? " ------ because it is an effective air barrier. Only if it is applied 8" thick is it a water/vapor barrier. http://www.henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/H...l_Brochure.pdf
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1

Be safe, Gary
Hi Gary, not to sound pedantic, but on the first document, in page 6 it indicates that Open Cell SPF @ 3.5 inches has the same permability as housewrap, which is very good. In my case that would be 6 inches. Therefore, it should work OK. Lastly, I am planning to coat the entire wall with an elastomeric gas-barrier. So, the more the merrier. Or... did I miss something?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
you got a jobonie now its easier to understand,,, i'd have no problem w/your method if you finish w/mortar/hydraulic,,, dampen the conc 1st - never patch a dry surface
Tx. Out of curiosity, why do think that hydraulic absolutely must be the last layer? Can't I just leave it w/the foam? I am planning to coat the entire wall with an elastomeric, gas-resistant layer. That will take care of gases + water. There are no structural issues either, that I can see. I checked the code of the area where I live in, and couldn't find anything (then again, I am surely missing something). Tx! again.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,064

A vapor barrier is a lot different than a vapor retarder in that it stops all moisture. Foam is a vapor retarder at 1.1 per inch/ 2 = .55 /2 (4" -- 1/2 again) = .275/2 again (6") = 0.1375/2 (8") = .06875 because it is below .1 now it is a vapor barrier or a Class I vapor retarder. As was in the middle of the BSC article. http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=11810

Tyvek has a perm of 67, Typar- 16 (my numbers may be slightly off) a big difference between just those: http://www.typar.com/pdfs/Typar_vs_Tyvek.pdf

http://www.panhandleinsulation.com/b...materials.html

http://www.dyplastproducts.com/water..._permeance.htm

Be safe, Gary
Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
A vapor barrier is a lot different than a vapor retarder in that it stops all moisture.

[snip]

Be safe, Gary
Got it! TX!

Advertisement