Foundation Repairs - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foundation repairs

When my house was built 12 years ago, the builder put this styrofoam board around the foundation of the house and covered it with a stucco type material. Most of the homes in this subdivision have this. I can tell this because it is apparent where owners have tried to edge the lawns with string weed eaters and the weedeaters have chewed through the stucco and pulled out pieces of styrofoam.

Anyway, about 3 years after I moved in I noticed termites eating through the drywall in my laundry. The termite guy said they were coming up behind the styrofoam and I should remove it. I did so. Of course the foundation looked like absolute heck under the boards. I managed to cover most of it with a quikrete surfacing cement, but I am still hot happy with it.

Long way to ask: How do I "pretty up" the foundation?

Advertisement

bbrian224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,464

Foundation repairs

you mean like this ? ? ? i can't imagine termites ruining either a block OR conc wall, tho,,, them's some bodacious HUMUNGOUS 'mites you got there !
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation repairs-cobble-wall.jpg  

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

Foundation repairs

The termites get through and behind the foam and follow it up to the sill and framing. After than, they go wherever they are happy and not disturbed.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #4

Foundation repairs

Itsreally: That is the general idea I wanted to do, maybe not so bold, but that is the idea.

Concrete: Exactly. Since I got rid of the foam, the termites are gone. The foundation just doesnt look nice. It looks unfinished. I was hoping for some tips on products/techniques for finishing it off.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:16 AM   #5

Foundation repairs

dick or anyone, remember seeing a metal sill cap w/perhaps 3" drop on some older homes around richmond, va,,, bldg code rqmt, good bldrs, or common sense repairs ? ? ? iirc, copper, lead, alum, & galv - someone said they were termite barriers
Old 09-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #6

Foundation repairs

colleague did that work for a friend of his 1 weekend,,, you may've noticed casper ghost - there's also michigan's upper peninsula somewhere he used elitecrete, a polymer-modified just-add-water bagg'd product,,, we use it in our work, too
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation repairs-4931-det.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #7

Foundation repairs

That is very nice work itsrealconc. But are there any recommendations for the vertical portion of the foundation? I live on a sloped lot, and have anywhere from 8 - 24 inches of exposed foundation between the ground and the house sheathing/siding.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #8

Foundation repairs

textured flat stone's easily done w/trowel & tape

Advertisement