Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

Share |

foundation Repair Questions

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and appreciate any advice in advance. My house has a block foundation that has some horizontal cracking. I've been told that carbon fiber is an excellent repair method and have a question. So far I've had two contractors recommend two different repair strategies. The first recommended installing the straps every 4 feet across the entire wall even where the cracks aren't present. The other contractor recommended only installing the straps where the cracks where present. which is the middle of the wall.

If I go with option two I'll need 4 straps on one wall as opposed to 8 and two straps on another wall as opposed to 7. I know it's impossible to recommend a repair with out seeing the walls but conceptually I'm trying to understand if it's ok to only repair where cracks are present.

Thanks!
njhammerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #2

lets see pics of your problem. and a location.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #3

You should also determine why there are horizontal cracks. Could be side pressure on the wall which is causing it to bow. Whole different method for fixing that.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #4

Does anyone know if you need to buy the kits to perform these types of fixes (i.e. HJ3, The Reinforcer)? Can you just buy a roll of carbon fiber and epoxy and get the same results for a fraction of the cost of these kits?
irl5fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Carbon fiber may reduce future movement that is caused by the soil pressure that usually is quite saturated. It is a high-tech fussy band-aid.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #6

Thanks for your reply. I understand the purpose of the carbon fiber. My question is: If I were to purchase a roll of carbon fiber (like in bulk) and a gallon of epoxy and apply it to the wall, would that provide the same results as the name brand kits they sell for hundreds of dollars per strip?

I'm just curious if the name brand kits just that simple and extremely marked up or if there is more to it than that? Buying everything in bulk would only cost a couple hundred dollars per basement vs. a couple thousand by going with the name brand (The Reinforcer, HJ3 Stronghold).

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:57 AM   #7

we use ' fortress ' [ no # interest ] where'd you get prices in the $ 1,000s most pro's don't buy in ' bulk ' UNLESS you define it as more than 5 kits @ a time,,, are you thinking of buying a roll of carbon fiber, epoxy, & ' rolling your own ' ? good man BUT to whom will you look for recourse when/if your repair fails & the wife's glares become intolerable ?

do you know what grade carbon fiber's used ? which epoxy ? just curious - we do this work & i don't know fiber,,, fortress has already done it for the trade/industry, its been around for 25 yrs ( ? ), & accepted practice by engineers/architects/owners/governments,,, why reinvent the wheel ?

having said that, its usually a coin flip between concealed steel-reinforced grouted wall pins OR carbon fiber straps,,, personally i like wall pins as they don't ' grab ' buyer's attention when its time to sell

depending on where/size/etc, might only need re-pointing & monitoring,,, check misalignment w/4' level & incl when you post pics

thanks for telling us your ' WHERE ' as the forum requested - makes it much easier for responders to consider replies

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 02-13-2014 at 06:02 AM.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #8

When I say thousands, I mean that they cost $120+ per strap and right now I'm looking at 12 straps minimum. Yes, I'm talking about buying a roll of carbon fiber, epoxy and rolling my own.

This is really a debate between me and a friend. He says we can just buy a roll and some epoxy and yield the same results. I think it's probably possible, but like you said, I don't know what the "Fortress's" "StrongHold's" and "The Reinforcer's" of the world use as their fabric and epoxy. I don't know if they layer their fabric, integrate different things into their system, etc. I was looking for some insight on that, as I have never seen one of these systems up close. Any other insight on this?

What would a typical contractor price be for installing 12 straps total on a 30'x7' and 25'x7' wall? Bowing is probably around 1", definitely less than 2".
Old 02-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #9

' WE ' ? ? ? does he have a financial interest/ownership if YOUR home ? ? ?

we pay $600 for 6 8' straps incl epoxy,,, for $100, we can buy mtls ( 12K grout & rebar ) for 2 concealed wall pins,,, labor's another $400 (2men - 1 day ),,, we own aurand scarifiers to abrade walls - direct job costs, equipment/trk, labor incl insurances, overhead (office, insurance, licensing, salaries ), & profit - about 15% at the end of the year

epoxy base coat, install carbon fiber, & roll on an epoxy top coat,,, your $ sounds cheap to me,,, doubt you'll know more as its intellectual/product proprietary property IF you read product sheets & understand astm test methods, that should help out

pricing is generally not forum-discussed as it varies across the country - its still a free market

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowed wall, carbon fiber, foundation crack repair