Foundation Repair - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

foundation repair

Check out the picture on this old house. There is a 12 foot section of wood rot above the block foundation that the house lays on...not sure the technical name. Any thoughts or pro opinions on how to go about fixing the issue?
Attached Images

Advertisement

bml.4517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

foundation repair

id call a pro on this one bud, i wouldnt touch that with a ten foot pole

Advertisement

firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

foundation repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode
id call a pro on this one bud, i wouldnt touch that with a ten foot pole
Well my old man is a carpenter, has some good experience under his belt...so in the end he will hook me up with some much needed help. I enjoy learning from people that are so much more experienced than myself. Thanks for the reply buddy
Old 09-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

foundation repair

That is a pretty common problem, deterioration of the sill beam likely due to water infiltration. Can't tell from the photo if this is a problem affecting one foot of sill, or the entire house. The options for resolving the problem depend greatly on whether you need to fix a small area, or you plan to replace the entire sill (i.e. is this photo typical deterioration around the whole house, or is this the only bad place?) Let us know, then we can discuss options more effectively.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 608

foundation repair

It's called a rim joist.
Any chance there's a deck porch or stoop againt the side of the house in that area on the outside?
It needs to be fixed from the outside.
Post a picture of the outside wall in that area.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #6

foundation repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman
That is a pretty common problem, deterioration of the sill beam likely due to water infiltration. Can't tell from the photo if this is a problem affecting one foot of sill, or the entire house. The options for resolving the problem depend greatly on whether you need to fix a small area, or you plan to replace the entire sill (i.e. is this photo typical deterioration around the whole house, or is this the only bad place?) Let us know, then we can discuss options more effectively.
There is about a 12ft long section of deterioration. Its on the front of the house which on the other side of the wall is dirt. There is a 25yrd concrete porch above the dirt on the side where the rot is.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #7

foundation repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
It's called a rim joist.
Any chance there's a deck porch or stoop againt the side of the house in that area on the outside?
It needs to be fixed from the outside.
Post a picture of the outside wall in that area.
There is a concrete porch on the outside above the wall unfortunately...always something haha. I will post more pictures in the morning. Thanks joe
Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #8

foundation repair

Happens everytime someone builds it that way.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #9

foundation repair

Here is the outside view
Attached Thumbnails
foundation repair-forumrunner_20120924_195614.jpg  
Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #10

foundation repair

If that was my house, I would first re-connect that gutter downspout so that you can channel rain away from the foundation.

I would then find the rot location from the outside and peel off few siding layers to determine your situation.

But based on your first picture, you may have to replace that sill, along with part of the rim band.

Last edited by allthumbsdiy; 09-24-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added picture
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #11

foundation repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbsdiy
If that was my house, I would first re-connect that gutter downspout so that you can channel rain away from the foundation.

I would then find the rot location from the outside and peel off few siding layers to determine your situation.

But based on your first picture, you may have to replace that sill, along with part of the rim band.
Good eye, thumbs! Thats actually on the morning schedule for the house and thank you. The renters I had in there earlier this year have been very destructive and have just made a complete mess but back to the point. That concrete is gonna be a pain to take up but it will have to be done. Thanks ole buddy
Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #12

foundation repair

The other option would be to lift the whole house, your choise.
I've seen that exact same thing done to houses dozen of times, by both DIY's and the pros.
What in the would do they thinks going to happen to the side of the house when you bury it like that, it's got to rot.
It also give the termites a direct route into the house and never be seen.

Once you get that concrete out come back. There's a fix so it will not happen again.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #13

foundation repair

When I had to remove my concrete patio (very small compared to yours), I rented Hilti DSH700 concrete saw and Makita HM214c electric demo hammer.

If you want to see some pictures, google "how to replace a rotted rim joist and sill plates part 3"

Best,
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #14

foundation repair

I agree, fix the drainage first, then fix the woodrot if its limited to a certain area. check if there are any other parts exposed to the earth outside and do some waterproofing to make sure the same thing doesnt happen again.

Advertisement

SinaiConstruct is offline   Reply With Quote