Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #1

Share |

foundation question

I'm working w/ a 28 by 50' bilevel foundation that has sat in the elements since 87'. The top row of blocks were all basically disintegrated from freeze thaw action. Whoever had this land before the people I bought it from never finished for some reason. The foundation is built into the side of a hill. Anyway I repaired the top row of blocks on the upper level. Knocked them down and replaced then cored the wall w/ concrete and rebar wherever I was able to jam it down the cores. The house on the first half is almost done and I will be buildin the second half in the spring. But first I will need to repair the higher back wall of the foundation where it is in the hill. this was originally designed to be a walkout basement, but I am using it as a crawlspace/utility space, so it doesn't need to be pretty, just solid. Anyway the last 15' of that back wall has bowed in to hydrostatic pressure. Originally my plan was to build structural pilasters to support the white oak beams and at the same time hold back the wall, but now I am thinking maybe I should just fix it right before I build to avoid future problems. The deflection is about 4 inches tapering in down to the bottom of wall. And in order for the house to be square the sill would have to run off the blocks about 4 inches, or it will have to be unsquare. From corner to corner it is square, it is the midspan that has bowed. I want to dig down behind the wall, knock down the blocks to the bottom or second to bottom row and rebuild. How far back from the wall should I dig to accomplish this and should I fill the whole wall w/ concrete? Thanks.

roughsawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

foundation question

As long as you are digging, go down to the footing and install drain tile and drain to a sump or to daylight. Use a decent draining backfill behind the wall since you now know the soil on the site is frost-susceptible.

Is the top of the wall still level? Once you get to the footings, you should check to make sure they are level and not cracked.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #3

foundation question

yes, top of wall is level. And the sump is still functioning, surprisingly. it is self draininig, but I havent figured out where it drains out to yet. What should I use for better backfill? And how far out should I dig away from wall?
Thanks.
roughsawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

foundation question

Quote:
And how far out should I dig away from wall?
Ayuh,... Back far enough to do the work ya gota do, Safely....
Back step the bank, so's it can't fall in on ya...

For backfill,... Good small stone for around the drainage for a foot, then native soils to finish...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote